Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Anna94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 569
Better filter

Iím so tired of my Fluval C4. The only reason I went with it over an AquaClear or Seachem Tidal is because the media is easier to remove and replace as each media compartment can be removed/replaced individually. It quiets down eventually, but itís always loud af when I have to take it apart to clean it but even when it quiets down itís still not completely silent. I donít know what to do. Iíve taken it apart twice and I lubed the shaft and impeller I donít know how many times since Iíve had it. Iím about ready to say f**k it and buy a new one. Please give me suggestions on filters that are SILENT and will stay SILENT and that the media is easy to remove and replace. I canít do canisters as they are too expensive for me.
__________________

__________________
ADow
Anna94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodstock,Ga
Posts: 225
I have 3 C 3s and 1 C 4 and they are usually very quiet . What kind of noise is your's making ? Sometimes when I do a thorough cleaning of one it may make a lot more noise than usual but a fix I have found is to unplug and plug it in fast and repeat a few times . Turns it off and on .
Works for mine . I think it syncs the impeller and the motor windings for lack of a better explanation...lol
__________________

__________________
We are meant to be the stewards of the Earth and her creatures....not the masters.
Leeatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Anna94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I have 3 C 3s and 1 C 4 and they are usually very quiet . What kind of noise is your's making ? Sometimes when I do a thorough cleaning of one it may make a lot more noise than usual but a fix I have found is to unplug and plug it in fast and repeat a few times . Turns it off and on .

Works for mine . I think it syncs the impeller and the motor windings for lack of a better explanation...lol


Trust me I do that a lot and it sometimes gets louder. Itís making like a rattling/humming noise.
__________________
ADow
Anna94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodstock,Ga
Posts: 225
Hmmmm....don't know then . Is it still in warranty ? I have had excellent customer service from Fluval . Contact them on there website and see if they will do anything about it . Could just get an Aquaclear . They are great filters too .
__________________
We are meant to be the stewards of the Earth and her creatures....not the masters.
Leeatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Anna94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 569
Better filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Hmmmm....don't know then . Is it still in warranty ? I have had excellent customer service from Fluval . Contact them on there website and see if they will do anything about it . Could just get an Aquaclear . They are great filters too .


I donít understand how the AquaClears are quieter when they use the same motor and impeller as the Fluval C-series.
__________________
ADow
Anna94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodstock,Ga
Posts: 225
Neither do I , that's why I think you have a defective impeller , shaft , or motor unit . That's why I would talk to Fluval .
__________________
We are meant to be the stewards of the Earth and her creatures....not the masters.
Leeatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Anna94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Neither do I , that's why I think you have a defective impeller , shaft , or motor unit . That's why I would talk to Fluval .


Iíve already replaced the motor and impeller. The motor and impeller are actually AquaClear ones. It was sort of quiet for awhile and then got loud again.
__________________
ADow
Anna94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 72
Hello, I don't have a fluval canister but I do have a penn plax cascade 1000. It has run quite since perchance(6+mo). Just recently though it started to make a very loud noise almost like impeller was rubbing(grinding). I tinkered w/it for several hrs. I found that connection on intake hose had loosened & unit was sucking air. Hope this helps!
__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Anna94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.j.gomez View Post
Hello, I don't have a fluval canister but I do have a penn plax cascade 1000. It has run quite since perchance(6+mo). Just recently though it started to make a very loud noise almost like impeller was rubbing(grinding). I tinkered w/it for several hrs. I found that connection on intake hose had loosened & unit was sucking air. Hope this helps!


My filter is a HOB.
__________________
ADow
Anna94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 72
Im sorry confused w/ fluval fx4.
__________________

__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canister filter: which is better, one big or two small? General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 22 10-10-2004 10:55 PM
What's Better? Bio Wheel or Trickle Filter with Bio-Balls? Chiselchst General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 8 04-27-2004 12:05 AM
What's Better, a Bio-Wheel or Trickle Filter with Bio Balls? Chiselchst Saltwater Reef Aquaria 1 04-23-2004 04:51 PM
better filter system savy420 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 6 03-17-2004 04:10 PM
Which filter is better? edison9114 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 8 12-20-2003 05:41 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.