Better filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I’m so tired of my Fluval C4. The only reason I went with it over an AquaClear or Seachem Tidal is because the media is easier to remove and replace as each media compartment can be removed/replaced individually. It quiets down eventually, but it’s always loud af when I have to take it apart to clean it but even when it quiets down it’s still not completely silent. I don’t know what to do. I’ve taken it apart twice and I lubed the shaft and impeller I don’t know how many times since I’ve had it. I’m about ready to say f**k it and buy a new one. Please give me suggestions on filters that are SILENT and will stay SILENT and that the media is easy to remove and replace. I can’t do canisters as they are too expensive for me.

I have 3 C 3s and 1 C 4 and they are usually very quiet . What kind of noise is your's making ? Sometimes when I do a thorough cleaning of one it may make a lot more noise than usual but a fix I have found is to unplug and plug it in fast and repeat a few times . Turns it off and on .
Works for mine . I think it syncs the impeller and the motor windings for lack of a better explanation...lol

I have 3 C 3s and 1 C 4 and they are usually very quiet . What kind of noise is your's making ? Sometimes when I do a thorough cleaning of one it may make a lot more noise than usual but a fix I have found is to unplug and plug it in fast and repeat a few times . Turns it off and on .

Works for mine . I think it syncs the impeller and the motor windings for lack of a better explanation...lol

Trust me I do that a lot and it sometimes gets louder. It’s making like a rattling/humming noise.

Hmmmm....don't know then . Is it still in warranty ? I have had excellent customer service from Fluval . Contact them on there website and see if they will do anything about it . Could just get an Aquaclear . They are great filters too .

Hmmmm....don't know then . Is it still in warranty ? I have had excellent customer service from Fluval . Contact them on there website and see if they will do anything about it . Could just get an Aquaclear . They are great filters too .

I don’t understand how the AquaClears are quieter when they use the same motor and impeller as the Fluval C-series.

Neither do I , that's why I think you have a defective impeller , shaft , or motor unit . That's why I would talk to Fluval .

Neither do I , that's why I think you have a defective impeller , shaft , or motor unit . That's why I would talk to Fluval .

I’ve already replaced the motor and impeller. The motor and impeller are actually AquaClear ones. It was sort of quiet for awhile and then got loud again.

Hello, I don't have a fluval canister but I do have a penn plax cascade 1000. It has run quite since perchance(6+mo). Just recently though it started to make a very loud noise almost like impeller was rubbing(grinding). I tinkered w/it for several hrs. I found that connection on intake hose had loosened & unit was sucking air. Hope this helps!

Hello, I don't have a fluval canister but I do have a penn plax cascade 1000. It has run quite since perchance(6+mo). Just recently though it started to make a very loud noise almost like impeller was rubbing(grinding). I tinkered w/it for several hrs. I found that connection on intake hose had loosened & unit was sucking air. Hope this helps!

My filter is a HOB.

Say what you will about cheap HOB's like marineland, Aqueon or tetra whisper but I've seen those run several years without issue and fairly quiet.

I wouldn't get an aqua clear if you are having issues with the motor and impeller.

You could try a sunsun canister filter. They are comparable in price to your Fluval C4. If you are tired of HOB's.

Back
Top Bottom