Better for silence - eheim canister or aquaclear hob?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pretty soon I need to think about my setup for my kid's upcoming 20L. I was planning to put an aquaclear hob on it, but now I'm worried about noise. It's going to be in his room so I need to aim for maximum quiet. I've not used a canister, just a sump or hob. If you were basing solely by noise, would you go with the aquaclear hob or an eheim 2213 canister?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello Threnjen
When l purchased my tank a few months ago, l went with the professional 3 Eheim ultra g64 canister filter, l can say that it is so quite l have to look in the tank at the return to see the water flow coming back to the tank to make sure it's on. Also the design of the unit makes it a snap for disconnecting hoses on the unit for very easy removal, simple as unplug unit, turn flow to off, press button to release hoses and that's it, this is what's nice ,when the hoses are disconnected there is no water leaking from the hoses as it is a built in piece that just pops out and when you are ready to start up it pops right back in. There is also a priming button on the unit. The unit costs about $269.00 but it is worth it, you probably could get away with something a little smaller for your tank and a little cheaper also, first time l have had Eheim and l love it.

Good Luck
JCD

The Eheim 2213 canister might be a bit pricy but it's worth the money. I have one on my 29 gallon and it's absolutely silent. The canister also filters better because it can hold more filter media than the aquaclear can. The Eheim canister 2213 cost around $160

For silence for sure, Eheim 2213. I have this on my 29g with CO2.

I would take the HOB if it's not for planted tank w/ CO2, as it creates more aeration.

You can't go wrong either way. Both are extremely quiet. On my 130 I have an Aquaclear 110 and a. Eheim 2080 professional. They both are in noticeable. As Lon as the tank is topped off so you won't hear splashing. The sounds from the filters motor are unnoticeable.

Not sure about canisters, but I just upgraded the hob on my daughter's tank from an aqueon to an aqua clear. The aqua clear is quiet, but louder than the aqueon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank Filters

Pretty soon I need to think about my setup for my kid's upcoming 20L. I was planning to put an aquaclear hob on it, but now I'm worried about noise. It's going to be in his room so I need to aim for maximum quiet. I've not used a canister, just a sump or hob. If you were basing solely by noise, would you go with the aquaclear hob or an eheim 2213 canister?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello thren...

The Hagen hang on the back (HOB) will do the same job as the canister for a third the cost. If this is going to be a very basic tank, then an AC 30 will work very well and cost about $30.00. I've used this brand for 10 years. The smaller Hagen filters are extremely quiet.

B

Thanks gang! I have an AQ 30 on my 10g and I absolutely love it and think it is dead silent, but I've also realized that it's in the same room as my big tank which is kind of noisy, so I'm not making the proper comparison. I have to check all the time that it's actually running though because it makes so little noise.

I might go the canister route just for something... different. Also I feel like the spray bar might offer more water agitation. a 20L feels pretty long for a single HOB. I'm used to overfiltering and having a ton of flow in my tanks. I suppose if I do go the HOB route I could always put on 2.

I was originally planning to use a hand-me-down Marineland Penguin Biowheel HOB, I even had it cycled up. I got it for free and it's the right size/capacity. But... it's so noisy. Plus I want plants in there and I know biowheels are not the greatest for plants. So I think I will just suck it up and get something new. Otherwise he is going to complain.

If you have the option then definitely go with the Eheim. A fluval 206 would be another good option.

Another vote for the Eheim. As a teenager, I had to keep all of my tanks in my bedroom and found that the Eheim was the quietest ever! Would recommend this for anyone!

Hello thren...

The Hagen hang on the back (HOB) will do the same job as the canister for a third the cost. If this is going to be a very basic tank, then an AC 30 will work very well and cost about $30.00. I've used this brand for 10 years. The smaller Hagen filters are extremely quiet.

B

Are there any Hagen HOB that can match the eihm 2217?

If you have the option then definitely go with the Eheim. A fluval 206 would be another good option.

I've got both Eheim and fluval canisters and I have to say I prefer the fluval. They are smaller and actually fit in my cabinet. You also don't have to cut all you own tubings and prime easier. They look nicer and more expensively made but give a lesser output flow for the same price. You can also fit loads more bio in an Eheim but they are not as good as the fluval IMO.

I've also heard the fluval motor design makes it more susceptible to damage upon startup.

I've got both Eheim and fluval canisters and I have to say I prefer the fluval. They are smaller and actually fit in my cabinet. You also don't have to cut all you own tubings and prime easier. They look nicer and more expensively made but give a lesser output flow for the same price. You can also fit loads more bio in an Eheim but they are not as good as the fluval IMO.

I've also heard the fluval motor design makes it more susceptible to damage upon startup.

Yup, I'd also prefer the Fluval but both are quality products for their own respective prices. The only thing about the fluval canisters I don't like are the ugly ribbed tubing they come with.

Yup, I'd also prefer the Fluval but both are quality products for their own respective prices. The only thing about the fluval canisters I don't like are the ugly ribbed tubing they come with.

I don't mind it but again heard it can get muck between the ribs and is better to discard it after a while.

Great, thanks guys!

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I didn't really consider where the tank is located and where a canister would need to be positioned. I need to check in his room and make sure he can even FIT a canister somewhere near his dresser. Duuuur...

But if he can, I'm going to go with a canister (will check out the Fluval too)

Great, thanks guys!

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I didn't really consider where the tank is located and where a canister would need to be positioned. I need to check in his room and make sure he can even FIT a canister somewhere near his dresser. Duuuur...

But if he can, I'm going to go with a canister (will check out the Fluval too)

Exactly lol. I didn't want a canister positioned on a wooden floor that could easily be knocked over be kids and pets. I don't know how the width of the 2213 compares with the 2217 but they are rather chunky canisters. The tubing is good quality but for the price I paid I just didn't like having to 'build my own canister' most people are probably thinking it's not that much of a big deal but I like anything that makes life easier and would always pay more for practicality especially when performance is on par.

Sorry for going slightly off topic.

Exactly lol. I didn't want a canister positioned on a wooden floor that could easily be knocked over be kids and pets. I don't know how the width of the 2213 compares with the 2217 but they are rather chunky canisters. The tubing is good quality but for the price I paid I just didn't like having to 'build my own canister' most people are probably thinking it's not that much of a big deal but I like anything that makes life easier and would always pay more for practicality especially when performance is on par.

Sorry for going slightly off topic.
Not off topic :p

In good news I can fit a canister, yay! And there's even a rather appropriate spot to put it. So I'm going to check out that Fluval and select between it and an Eheim model.

Hubby is just going to shake his head because I told him before that the MArineland Biowheel was fine :angel:

Oh hm do I have to have it DIRECTLY under the aquarium? Because I was going to have it off to the side about 2 feet.
Like the aquarium itself will be on top of the dresser, but I need the canister to sit next to the dresser on the floor.
Edit: Silly question. It's just a siphon. It can siphon to the side as long as it's down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom