BEYOND BAFFLED-- Cannibalism? wtf!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgkaelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
i do'nt know WHAT is going on in my tank. last week i noticed that one danio and one tiger barb were MISSING from my tank... looked around, didn't see them... did a water change, uprooted ALL plants (plastic).. couldn't find them ANYWHERE... checked around the tank.. no jumpers. WHAT IS GOING ON. i just came upstairs from dinner and ANOTHER danio is missing.. ????!!!!!!! if there was any sort of cannibalism going on, wouldn't there at least be fish heads around? and is a gourami or rams really going to attack and EAT my other tankmates? why is therE NO trace of these fish. i have NO cats or any other animals... i doubt this story will end well or if i will ever find out what happened, but does ANYONE know what's going on ?

It is possible the whole fish is being eaten, if that is the case. I don't know who would be doing the killing, but there are enough fish in that tank to eat the evidence.

I've a similar prob MG; lost an oto in one tank (with only algae shrimp, cardinals and dwarf gouramis otherwise in the tank!), and a keyhole in another tank. No bodies, not even a skeleton. I haven't the vaguest!

In the space of a week, I 'lost' 15 guppies, 2 mid-size plecos and a variety of other fish (their entire bodies eaten)... I blamed the 3 shrimp I had until they were eaten too... Turned out to be two sharks I had that had grown from very small, sweet little juveniles to monstrous adults very quickly... It was a complete massacre! I gave them back to the lfs, along with an african cichlid that was getting aggressive and haven't had any more problems... I have also since learned a tad more about community tanks :roll:

I have a black fin shark in my tank... they don't bother leaving the head, or skeleton, or whatever. no evidence whatsoever. they just swallow whole anything they can fit in their mouth! :) Same with my green spotted puffer and shrimp. swallows them in 1 bite. I don't think you will find evidence, but it's obvious that you have some fish in there that's hungry. Hope you find out before it's too late. :|

-brent

Sure your hillstream loach isn't a disguised pleco?

Any large predators MIA that may have just been hiding?
Any roomates with whacked humour? Or moms that may be removing floaters?(you can stop me anytime....)

I had a croaking gourami just disappear..she was a piece of fish jerky waay under the computer who I sadly found when changing the furniture around. But they hide so well I never saw them even when all 5 were in a 10 gallon. And I had searched the floor thoroughly.

Technically....it isn't cannibalism unless you eat your own species...
if they are even only close..you eat it (people eat apes all the time).
I guess one of yuor fish has been to school

{rimshot

The snails could be the culprit, especially with so many. You might want to check your tank chemistry- There could be some problem that is slowly killing of the fish, and the other fish/snails in the tank just take adavntage of an easy meal.

-J

flipz said:
yea. what kind of people do you hang out with christmasfish? :p

Oh..um..my cousins in brasil, some close friends in Vera Cruz...

But monkey brain is a delicacy in in the upscale India, Sri Lanka and western asia. Africans in the interior eat all manner of apoe includiong gorilla adn chimps, and I am talking modern age..not ancient times.
Euro descendents are not the police of the world..... :roll: :wink:

Hey, did you think my menu in the lounge wss a joke? :twisted:

good point jratszn--- just about to post a new topic because my tank chem is MESSED Up.. but id on't know if this is BECAUSE of rotting fish or vice versa!!!

Back
Top Bottom