BGA Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cich4cichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a HUGE bga problem. It is just everywhere and idk what to do. Please help!
I have a 125 gallon freshwater tank. Paramaters at 0/0/10 and ph of 8.2. I have 2 oscars, a Jack Dempsey, a red devil, a salvini, a tinfoil barb, a spotted gar, and a pleco. I have 2 Rena filstar xp3 filters running with the media it came with (idk if that includes carbon) and a topfin 3000 pump for 2 airstones. I am currently doing a 40-50 percent water change every 2-3 days.
What should I do?

Also I use pellet food and have one java fern in there. Gravel substrate with driftwood, lava rock, and a rainbow rock as well as plastic plants and a plastic cave. I occassionally feed freeze dried food but mostly pellet.

And the tank has been set up since Christmas, if i remember any other information I'll post but I really need some help, the smell is driving me crazy and it I covering everything!

BGA usually shows up in tanks with very low nitrates. The BGA has the ability to fix nitrogen from other sources, so it takes advantage of the nutrients in the tank that other plants and algae can't because of the lack of nitrogen.

You could try reducing your PWC percentages, or removing the airstones.

If I take out the airstone all my fish swim at the surface and stick there heads up

You definitely have a lot of fish in that tank. Try aiming the returns of the canisters at the surface for more surface agitation.

Back
Top Bottom