BGK, Community Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetness8t5

Aquarium Advice Activist
I read those are aggressive fish? Is that true?

Can you put them in a community tank full of mostly tetras, few danios, a couple of rams and maybe some cory?

aggressive --> NO!
they are peaceful, but they just need their space (lots of space).

They grow VERY VERY big - so unless they are babies, do not keep them with small tetras (neons).
Cories are OK with BGK - i keep them together.

Also, BGK have trouble competing with other fish for food.
They do come out during the day to eat, but are kinda slow to find it.
For this reason, I recommend that you have LESS bottom feeders and LESS fast fish in the tank. So the BGK can get its share.

You know, I've been reading sooo many mixed reviews online, and I'm getting tired of it.
I've read how some people haven't had problems wit their BGKs... maybe a tetra losing an eye but you can't really attribute it to the BGK because you don't really know.

I have a 55g that I'm stocking with tiny fish (neons and such) and wanted (a) big fish for the focal point.

I thought about getting a small BGK so it would become accustomed to the smaller fish, but I'm not going to chance it... even though, I have a gut feeling nothing would happen.

So, I'm researching Pearl Gouramis instead. I think that would end up working better because they won't grow too big.

Oh BGK reminds me of Burger King. LoL

yes a pearl gourami would be better for the 55G.

The BGK would definitely grow too big for that tank and eat all your tetras.

Bubble_B0y said:
you know what be great for your tank.
Discus!

just a suggestion ;)

I was thinking that, but some people said a Discus could eat my smaller fish, and could reading mixed reviews and such. I really want some.
I think I'll get the Gouramis now, and later on dedicate a tank just for the Discus.
Thanks!

Discus are fish that require warmer water than most community fish, they also are slow eaters and can suffer from starvation in community tanks. They require pristine water conditions and are easily frightened. They do better in a tank of their own with some peaceful bottom feeders.

A BGK definately is not fitting for a 55 gal. Go with the gourami.

Zagz said:
Discus are fish that require warmer water than most community fish, they also are slow eaters and can suffer from starvation in community tanks. They require pristine water conditions and are easily frightened. They do better in a tank of their own with some peaceful bottom feeders.

A BGK definately is not fitting for a 55 gal. Go with the gourami.

Oh yeah, those are the other reasons why I decided against it! haha...

Back
Top Bottom