bichir feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrmaronick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering how much I should be feeding my curvir bichir. He currently gets 4-6 hakari massivor pelts flake and alge waffer in a.m. feeding and gets a whole earthworm for midnight snack. Only had him for about a week now. And I just noticed that he had eaten my crown tail beta earlier today that was in the tank with him. The other inhabitants include 2 clown loaches a 7" pleco pair of breeding angles and a fancy gold and 60-80 snails.

I guess I'm not feeding him enough if he ate a crown tail beta but he has a belly showing just about all day from what he gets now how much should he be getting or do I need to keep live feeder fish in tank for him so he doesn't eat the two loaches or a new Berta whenever that is. Any advice will be great and I'll get back to you whenever I can thank you

Bichirs will eat just about anything small enough that will fit into their mouth anytime (regardless of how much they've eaten previously) I've had a Senegal Bichir for 2+ years and I've tried feeding him a lot to keep him from eating his smaller tank mates. I've tried worms, crickets, pellets, flies, mealworms, regardless of how much he ate he always had room for some more tiny tank mates... He's a very opportunistic eater. Believe it or not, I actually bought 3 female betas because I thought they'd be a colorful addition to my semi aggressive tank... Guess what... THEY WERE ALL GONE THE NEXT MORNING! All you can do is either get rid of him, or buy larger fish. I chose to keep him and buy bigger fish because he is just too awesome. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469769087.026662.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's what iv been reading a lot of on the web just don't want him to eat my two loaches there keeping snail pop. In check. I mean the betta was asking for it standing his ground for his spot to a fish ten times his size lol. The loaches scram when he gets to close. I was also curious if any one has feed them leeches.. I mean there in the worm family still so should have protein and all the same nutrients or close to the same as earthworm's. Just cut sucker off it quick to make sure it doesn't latch on stomach or something?? Also read about feeding fish fellets. What kind wild caught walleye and northern or like store bought cod or something. I know not samon or tuna Cuz of oil content. But northern or pan fish walleye ect. Aren't to oily. And are just as safe as store bought without the price and is fun to do to.

I've heard of people feeding them frozen tilapia fillets, so I don't see why not. I'm sure that he'd love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom