BIG fish problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If a fish tank at the petstore has ich, is it okay to buy from another tank at the same store?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

whitndave308

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP! I bought a spotted catfish and introduced him to my established 29 gallon tank, but problem is i think he was carrying ich. I had another shark cat, and he already died, is it normal for a fish that is introduced into a tank to give another fish the disease and that fish die first? and now what do i do? i have three angels that i have had for over a year and i dont want to loose them! :cry:

It isn't the best idea to do that. They probably use the same cleaning tools and nets in all the tanks so it's likely that if one tank in the store is infected, the whole store will be infected. I bought two dwarf gourami's from petco last week that had ick and returned them for that same reason and got a refund. IT was too late though, and they infected my tank. I had to but medicine and have to medicate my tank. I doubt that your fish died of ich though unless it was having some problems beofore it was infected by ick. Don't take my word for it though. I'm just a rookie at fishkeeping.

Many times a LFS has one giant filter system, so all of the tanks are connected. If one tank has ich chances are they all do.

I also think that part of the problem is that one of my big angel fish had taken over the tank and was bullying everyone. I heard that could have contributed to the breakout...... or is this just a rumor?????? And now the only fish that is alive is the one that was doing the bullying, is that a coincidence?

just make sure the tanks aren't some how hooked up. often all the saltwater tanks are all tied into a huge sump and protien skimmer. if not then i'd say its safe. unless there are alot of tanks with severe ich. then there might be a problem with the way fish are cared for.

That is a good reason to use a quarentine tank. You just don't know what sort of conditions a lot of fish store keep their fish in and whether or not there is a giant sump connecting things. Even the best of fish stores could get an ich outbreak. That doesn't make them bad, but if they try and sell fish from diseased water that does make them bad.

Also keep in mind that fish always have ich in them. Just not full blow or hurtful. They can get it from stress. Like when you do a water change and if the temp is off by 2 degrees, up or down, they can get ich.

The bullying angel could have made the ich worst by causing stress to the other fish. But I don't think that that would keep it alive. Did your other fish look like they had been attacked? I had a grey stripped angel that was very mean. He killed off 7 neons and badly hurt some of my other fish. They are cichild! I had a black marble too, she was not very aggresive.

Back
Top Bottom