Biggest Bang for my Buck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all! So I have about $200 allocated to spend on upgrading my tank, and I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I've had it up and running for about a year, and for about 10 months with no issues. Here's the current setup:

29g standard footprint
T5 normal single 18w light
Aquaclear 70 filter
Heater (I forget which brand, but I've had no issues with it)
Glass hinged lid
small gravel substrate

Plants:
anubias
crypt wendetti
corkscrew and reg. val
crypt parva
Christmas moss

Stock:
4 pygmaeus and habrosus corydoras
2 longfin white cloud minnows
1 honey gourami
8 neon tetras
2 mystery snails
1 algae eating goby of unknown species
6 leopard longfin danios (these are actually being rehomed - going to a friend sometime in the next few weeks)

What would be the best thing to purchase/upgrade? I'm enjoying having a planted aquarium, but I'm not sure I'm ready to move into a high light/CO2 tank yet, especially since I don't really feel like tearing the whole thing down to replace my substrate. I'm considering a RO unit so that I can keep a greater variety of fish; the LFS (it's a good one) told me that our local tap water is too hard for things like Rummynose tetras (I love those!!). But I also wonder if upgrading my lighting would be a better way to go, I've had some issues with my plants and I know the light I've got is the lowest of the low light. I'm also looking to change my stock around some to add some slightly larger more colorful fish than the danio school I have currently.

Anyway, I'd love some suggestions from more experienced fishkeepers on what would be a good upgrade...

Thanks!

edit: forgot to include my goby in the stock!

My first thought is upgrade the light. :) it doesn't have to take up, your whole budget.

Re co2, you don't have to change your substrate to have it.

Ro unit, I'd pass on that. How hard is your water? Many fish adapt.

My first thought is upgrade the light. :) it doesn't have to take up, your whole budget.

Re co2, you don't have to change your substrate to have it.

Ro unit, I'd pass on that. How hard is your water? Many fish adapt.

I guess a good FW light shouldn't even be half my budget if I shop around, I think. That's probably a good way to go...

Our water (Central Texas) is hard enough here that my LFS says most tetras excepting neons (just due to their adaptability from being domestically bred so long) will die of kidney/liver failure within a few months of being kept in tap water only around here. They run RO/DI water in a separate line to a bunch of their tanks including the tetra ones. Now I haven't tested it for myself...but hardness is a problem of varying degree for most of our state.

I was glad the fish store gave me a heads up rather than selling me the fish I wanted and them dying a few months later...

I'd say lighting as well. Ive got still got the stock singlebulb as well and will be upgrading it shortly. Here is a link I got off a different thread.

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

Obviously thats for the size that I'll be needing for my tank. The person I got that link from seemed to be in-the-know about aquarium stuff and was very happy with his. Plus, the prices is awesome for what you get.

Thanks for the suggestion, Coyne! Looks like they have some great prices on that site!

What about doing some kind of LED fixture since I have the budget for it? The energy efficiency and lack of replacing bulbs would be nice....

Anyone have any LED fixtures they like?

This on the same site that Coyne linked, by a company called Beamswork:

LED Freshwater Bright

What part of CenTex are you, here in CS I haven't found a LFS only PetCo/PetSmart? I agree with nixing the RO unit, how about a canister filter to replace the HOB one? Gig'em

- whoop! I knew there had to be at least one other aggie on this forum. ; )

I actually live in Austin - my fav is a local store called Aquatek. Good livestock selection, generally knowledgeable people.

I live in Texas as well, Lubbock to be exact. My tap water ph ppm is 7.6-7.8. My fish seem to be fine but I have fish a little larger than yours, 2 sunburst platy and 2 Dalmatian lyre tail mollies.

Edit: well larger than the tetras.

I live in Texas as well, Lubbock to be exact. My tap water ph ppm is 7.6-7.8. My fish seem to be fine but I have fish a little larger than yours, 2 sunburst platy and 2 Dalmatian lyre tail mollies.

Edit: well larger than the tetras.

The research I've done seems to say that fish like platies and minnows do well in harder water. I'm actually thinking about platies as part of what I want to add to my tank. They're a lot more colorful than my danios!

With that amount you should be able to upgrade to a 75.

Upgrade to a 75 gallon? LOL, I have no space! We have a small house and my tank already takes up all the room one the available wall in my living room. Besides, I'm not sure I'd enjoy water changes as much if I had to haul 2.5x the buckets of dirty fishwater outside!

Maybe someday. I have a daydream of a rainbow species tank...

The research I've done seems to say that fish like platies and minnows do well in harder water. I'm actually thinking about platies as part of what I want to add to my tank. They're a lot more colorful than my danios!

Oh ok, we'll cool! I'm gonna get a bigger tank this summer! Not sure what the difference between saying "I'm getting a bigger tank" and "upgrading" is but yeah, plan on getting some rainbow sharks!! Ill tell you how the water changes are haha, especially since I have a 10 right now. I wanna get a 50-60 gal.

I like my water changer... Not sure if the value is good enough for a smaller tank.

Get some plants, ferts, and maybe fish?

Haha, yeah, maybe I should just plan to spend the rest on restocking. It always seems to cost more than I'm thinking, and I'll probably see some plants that I want....

Thanks for all the advice!

I would switch your gravel for sand. Go to lowes/home depot or a tractor supply company(if you have these). It's like 8 bucks for 50 lbs.

I know you can get a 30" dual T5 HO fixture for about 80 bucks. And Rivercats said she bought a nice RO unit for $140. She said it makes enough for her to add to her 225g planted tank at around 50/50 RO & Tap. Look her up. She's really nice.
Yes, I am familiar with the hill counry of Texas. Lots of limestone, so hard water right in that region.
Good Luck, OS.

Here's a current pic from today. I am kind of thinking of a substrate change, although I'm a little worried about the time involved. I've been reading the substrate change thread that's going right now...

If I did change substrate, would sand or some kind of plant substrate be better? Keeping in mind I have dwarf corys...

Attachments

• image-3026533086.jpg
    image-3026533086.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image-536573652.jpg
    image-536573652.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 87
Yes, I am familiar with the hill counry of Texas. Lots of limestone, so hard water right in that region.
Good Luck, OS.

Thanks, OS! And thanks for the light tip. Sounds like the pricing for that T5 HO is about the same as what I'd pay for the Fugeray LED fixture. I think I'll go with the LED just because I hate having to replace bulbs all the time!

Back
Top Bottom