Biggest fish for 40 gallon freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kfish24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want a big fish or atleast something that would be good for a 40 gallon tank? And that I would be able to build a community around. Any ideas? Thx

Ps Saturdays are for the boys ??

What do you like? And is it a 40g breeder?

One big fish that's community friendly is the pearl gourami. It's big and beautiful and has some character.

It's 36×18×18 like a 40 gallon breeder tank just a little taller. I like colorful fish but I just want one big one that stands out. I liked cichlids but don't want my shrimp to be eaten.

any large fish is going to eat the shrimp , if it fits in the mouth they will eat it .

Gourami/angel/discus that sorta thing. Like big n slow; a not too aggressive, beautiful centerpiece

No.. just no..
Op- you want a single fish? That's the only way. You can keep something that gets to 5-6" In there but youll need to stay up on the maintenance.

Sorry, I have read they can live with cichlids. I know they are aggressive and not actually algae eaters. I have read they can live in a forty gallon.

Edit-really sorry, you are right. I looked it up and 55 gallon was the minimum.

I second the gourami though. Goodieds are a good fish.

Research the Blue Acara and the Electric blue Acara.
Grows to about 6" in a tank. Beautiful coloring.
Mine was not very aggressive and got along with a wide variety of cichlids and tetras.
Might eat your shrimps.

Also, on shrimp:
They won't all get eaten, you just won't ever see them cuz they hide. Yes some may get eaten but they're smarter than ppl realize. I like having them in there as clean up

Back
Top Bottom