Biggest Hose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AshaKayx3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I have a 55gal cichlid tank that I do 20% water changes on every week. I've been using a syphon and bucket but it is so heavy and it takes forever. I've seen the syphon hoses that are like 25 ft but that wouldn't reach my sink. Does anyone know the longest one they have? Like 200ft would be fantastic! If they don't make them that big, is there any other solutions? Thanks for the help <3

You could get tubing that doesn't come with a siphon if it is the right size and attach it. I don't know where/how far you carry the bucket, but I will dump the fish water out my window into the gutter or plants outside because it's easier than going down stairs.

200 feet? You must have a big house. You can buy a python system of 30 feet or so and then add as much plastic tubing as you need from your local hardware store. But I suspect there might be an easier solution.

It won't work very well at 200 ft with out a pump. Even still.. what's the setup? Details??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well the fish tank is at one end of the living room so the tube would have to go across the living room, through the dining area, into the kitchen, to the sink.

Garden hose to fill it, all you need is the faucet attachment. Pretty much how I've filled all my aquariums to start.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aqueon makes a siphon that has like a 50 or 75 foot hose, but I haven't seen anything up to 200 ft.

I also use a garden hose with a shutoff valve on the male end. I syphon the tank then shut off the valve and poke the end out the window. Then I attach the other (female) end back to the faucet and turn the tap on (but the valve on the other end is still off). Go back there and point the hose out the window and open the valve to flush the hose. Then turn it off and go to the tank and refill the tank and ATO. I can do a 20% WC on my 110 gal tank by myself very quickly.

At 200 feet you're talking a lot of friction loss compared to 30. If your faucet is limited at 1.5 gpm, your actual output will me much less with that much hose. Same seems to go for the suction too. I had a 50 ft aqueon and on my well water sink I had to turn it on full blast to get it moving. Larger diameter hose helps.

I used mind for filling a siphoned out the window into my flower bed.

Back
Top Bottom