biggest pleco you have owned or own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes but it doesn't effect us the same way human tubuerculosis does.

000_0175.JPG

Figured I'ld put a pic of mine up. Sail is a bit larger then the other pic of a gibby in here :D (this was the size he was when I moved him over.)

The biggest pleco i have owned is still currently in my tank. Its a common pleco and is about 7 inches or so. It has overgrown my tank and will be moved out to most likely That Fish Place in Lancaster.

I have a larger tank then my 29, but i plan on making that a saltwater tank. So I just want my pleco to go to a good home

Mine hasn't grown much since I moved him over.. kind of a good thing too, he doesn't have that many places to lay down during the day.

mine's a 12" common i think, although looking at the pick of your sailfin wizzard it could be one of those! Still in my 3ft tank, i'm thinking about giving him up but like a few other ppl on here scared to catch him lol i know he's just going to destroy my tank if i try!

I might try and catch him in some sort of container with a lid or something :roll: at least till i can get him into a bucket...

i wonder if anyone has batter dipped there pleco after it passed away and ate it? lol most of all i wonder how it tasted

Jaymz_Eric said:
i wonder if anyone has batter dipped there pleco after it passed away and ate it? lol most of all i wonder how it tasted

They eat them in South America.. but DONT consume a fish that has been in pet trade, methane blue is used in transport almost certainly and consuming any animal after it has passed is also a bad idea...

my largest pleco was about 12inches or so.. Ive a couple of them. (I quit keeping them after a while assuming my tanks were not really big enough for them)

so it'd be much better to get out your fishing rod while they are still alive ... then eat them ... jk maji

HEHE Pl*cos..

Well Bob the first was sent to his new 150G home at 14 inches. Don't yell at me but he got that big in a 55G, had been looking for a new home for him since he was 10 inches.

My two sunshines are 6 and 7 inches and to live thier lives each in a 75G tank with friends.

And my newest buddy is 2 inches long!!!! He's so cute!!!

J ... for someone who is supposedly chillin ... you're sounding a little uptight ... besides, I think your icon, TopCat is thinking about eating fish too ... LOL

I don't think Jchillin is out of line at all. I'm not even sure Jaymz_Eric's comment was 100% a joke.

Also, for the record, pleco's don't eat 'poop' as was stated in the initial post. Pleco's are food and algae scavengers. Fish poop has no nutritional value to a fish, and thus isn't 'eaten' by scavengers.

if they did eat it, you could stock a tank with several plecos and never have to worry about water changes. But that's not the reality of it.

Most of us tend to take this hobby and the animals associated with it, very seriously, it is hard to see the humour in the previous comments.

jibboo said:
J ... for someone who is supposedly chillin ... you're sounding a little uptight ... besides, I think your icon, TopCat is thinking about eating fish too ... LOL

For the record, I'm "chillin" when threads are kept on topic and are not associated with questionable ideas. We can eat fish if we want to but there is nothing funny about suggesting that we eat our pets.

um yeah eating fish that have been pets is really not safe. Some of the chemicals that we use in the water for meds, conditioning.. specifically say "do not use on fish inteneded for human consumption" .. "ingredients in this product are related to cancer"

i think that what jchillin means is that we make an emotional distinction between our pets whom we love and the food that we eat. it's not about whether eating aquarim fish is healthy, poisonous or carcinogenic, it's that it would be like eating your dog, or cat, or parakeet. it's just not that funny. some of us have had our fish for years and grieve when they die--witness the many posts saying "RIP so and so".

that being said, my largest plecos are topping out at 7"--i have a huge 7" L142 bigspot who is also about 2.5" wide--he's BIG and destined to be about 9", and and L200 that's getting to be about 6.5". i also have 2 L114s that, by the time they're grown will be about 9" each. by then i'm sure i'll have a much larger tank--or tanks (tanks, tanks, tanks!)

i agree with you crazycat... it's really not funny at all. That's like saying "hmm.. i wonder if cat taste like chicken". But i was just stressing the fact that if this guy really was serious that the chemicals are known carcinogens. you never can tell. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom