Biggest single fish for 40 Gallon tall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trombonier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a very lightly planted tank with some SeaChem Flourite substrate. A big fake driftwood with fake plants attached to it. And 80 gallons worth of filtration. I live in the High Desert, Southern California and our water is VERY hard. And pH is at about 8.4 from the Tap. What would be the biggest single fish that would do well in my 40 Gallon Tall?
(I've never been fond of Angel / Discus Type fish)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

If u only want to house a single fish then u must look for fish who likes to live alonr anyways or fish who is too aggressive to others if in community tank.

Probably a small flowerhorn u can house but I m not sure. It may overgrow fast for tank.

There are some large size Oscars available in store too.

If u only want to house a single fish then u must look for fish who likes to live alonr anyways or fish who is too aggressive to others if in community tank.

Probably a small flowerhorn u can house but I m not sure. It may overgrow fast for tank.

There are some large size Oscars available in store too.

Just no....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol I did say he may overgrow soon. For a little flowerhorn 29 gallon is ok. He has 40 gallon tank so I said maybe.

Wise man once said that you should stock your tank with fish that will be there as long as they live or the tank is set up. Life happens and upgrading to accommodate growing fish doesn't always go as planned. I thought that made perfect sense. Pretty sure a flowerhorn could break the glass on a 29???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I want something that will grow closer to 8" in length. Something that'll catch everyone's eye when they walk into my home.

My water is 8.4pH and over 25 dH... so yeah... any suggestions?

Maybe an electric blue Acara....I have no idea though, do some research on your own fish, sounds to me like you're looking for some kind of cichlids.

Is the Electric Blue Acara a bottom swimmer? I have a big drift wood with fake plants on it along with a few live plants surrounding the drift wood.. will it swim the entire tank? Or will it just sit at the bottom like the peacocks I used to have?

Maybe an electric blue Acara....I have no idea though, do some research on your own fish, sounds to me like you're looking for some kind of cichlids.

I have very hard water and high pH... I read that the Electric Blue Acara likes low pH... wouldn't that be a bad idea to get that fish? [emoji50]

Back
Top Bottom