Bio Bale? Any opinionss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghostriderphoto

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am wanting to add more surface area for beneficial Bacteria without taking up too much room or adding too much weight. I am also tossing around the idea of making one large sump to tie my tanks together and simplify the system. Any one have opinions, experience or thoughts on this?

That would be a good idea, but it may cost you a lot more money. Its a fun project.

How many tanks would be hooked to this possible sump?

Probably 3-5 tanks to start on the same system... One 10g one 50g and three 20/30g. It would increase the risk of infection spreading, but would also help stabilize the system better and create uniform water parameters in each tank. This would be a feeder/breeder setup. Feeders in the 10g and breeders in the 50g with offspring in the 20/30g tanks.

I have read where some people have experienced high nitrates with bio balls which made me rethink using them. I did more searching and came across bio-bale, but wanted to ask on AA to get an honest and accurate response.

If you have a healthy stock and don't overstock your tank (decrease fish stress), then you shouldn't have any disease at all. QT new fish.

You will have problems with bioballs if you don't rinse them every few months. They get a build up of mulm. Rinse a few at a time. You won't have any nitrAte buildup if you rinse them. Bio Bale looks like its harder to rinse and clean since there are so many of them compared to bioballs (the picture online - one looks bigger than the other one).

Drill each tank! No overflows.

Back
Top Bottom