bio balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I just place a few of them in my tank for the extra surface area to help in the bacteria colony?

Sure, if you want to. You could stick them in your filter also if you have room.

Cool, I was figuring never hurts to have the extra friendly bacteria growing.

Well, there's only so much that's going to grow, but adding the bioballs will seed them and have them ready to cycle any other tanks you get. ;)

But anyway, the population of bacteria will only grow to the point that it supports the bioload that you have in the tank.

100% right sm. also you dont have to use bio balls. a lot of people use pot scrubbers since they are cheaper with more surface area.

funny.... I think I mentioned in my used used used cycling http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/used-used-used-and-cycling-119878.html

that I set up my daughter's tank yesterday to cycle. .5ppm ammonia after sitting for a day with nothing added to it but some decorations, a dash of fish food, and a bit of fluff from my one tank....

The ammonia reading is the as the 30g tank that I have been trying to level out the ammonia. I'm thinking bio-balls to try to get more bacteria growth in the 30g as well.

what kind of test kit are you using? was this right after a water change? have you tested your tap water?

API master kit (liquid).

Hmmm yeah, looking back on the tap water I tested, the ammonia level out of the tap is between .25 and .5 ppm. Nothing is listed for ammonia in the water quality report. Though I do have nitrates in the water, but none in the tank.

A puff of grayish dust came out when I turned on the sponge filter in the cycling tank (was in my more established 20g tank).

Back
Top Bottom