Bio- load

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how many guppies can you fit in a 6 gallon?.... aqadvisor says i can fit 10 cherry shrimp 4 mystery snails and a beta in a fluval edge 6 gallon. is aqadvisor wrong?

Well if the snails give that much bio then what you plan on in that tank IMO is way to much. Just the betta with maybe a pleco the betta could eat the shrimp. Try 3-4 guppies only and see how your water is.

I am wondering if others will chime in... everyone says aqadvisor is good... if its good then godfan is wrong. otherwise... people need to stop using aqadvisor? :blink:

Well, here their bioload is smaller than what godfan said, but bigger than what aqadvisor said

what i am getting is that nobody knows 100% and that its better to just experiment safely. :lol: I wish I could just know but nothing is certain. as to bettas and shrimp, that is totally dependent on the personality of the betta. Hope I get a relaxed one, or my hubby will just have to deal with 2 aquariums instead of one. :whistle:

how many guppies can you fit in a 6 gallon?.... aqadvisor says i can fit 10 cherry shrimp 4 mystery snails and a beta in a fluval edge 6 gallon. is aqadvisor wrong?

I would absolutly not recomend this! You can obviously experiment if you want and just watch the params safely but I can tell you from experience large snails are dirty. I had 1 nerite snail crash my 5 gallon tank. As a matter of fact it crashed it so bad I had to tear it down completely to get rid of the foggy water! Also be careful with bettas in the edge. Results in that depend on the betta as they are air breathers :)

I would not recomend ANY pleco in a tank that small!

I would absolutly not recomend this! You can obviously experiment if you want and just watch the params safely but I can tell you from experience large snails are dirty. I had 1 nerite snail crash my 5 gallon tank. As a matter of fact it crashed it so bad I had to tear it down completely to get rid of the foggy water! Also be careful with bettas in the edge. Results in that depend on the betta as they are air breathers :)

I would not recomend ANY pleco in a tank that small!

I wish I could just get one snail but where I live there isn't much in the way of fish stores. So I am stuck getting them online and they don't sell them singularly. :(

And I don't really care for plecos. So no worries there

People sell both the mystery and apple snails here in the classifieds section if you want just one...(just make sure your state allows shipping of either one) They sell all diff colors so you can choose that also. Be careful putting a betta with them as they can not hide their antennas and heads as well as other snails if/when your Betta attacks them. Personally I keep nerites and ramshorns in my betta tanks (all but one get mad at them) but they are wonderful for cleaning...never had a prob with my tanks crashing with the nerites as their bio load is smaller than the mystery and apples

The main caution I'd have for you putting more than one mystery snail in that size tank is that they are PROLIFIC breeders. I've even seen one mystery snail lay eggs right after being added to a tank (I guess she had sperm saved from the store) which then all hatched and further bred... Personally I'd stick to nerites if you want snails since they need saltwater in order to breed. For that size tank one or two of the smaller nerites such as the olive ones would be perfect. The zebra and red spot nerites might be a bit big.

As for betta personality, you can set yourself up for success by adding all the other tankmates in before adding the betta. That way they don't appear to be "intruders". Even aggressive bettas will tend to be more tolerant of tankmates that were there before they arrived than they will of those added afterwards.

The main caution I'd have for you putting more than one mystery snail in that size tank is that they are PROLIFIC breeders. I've even seen one mystery snail lay eggs right after being added to a tank (I guess she had sperm saved from the store) which then all hatched and further bred... Personally I'd stick to nerites if you want snails since they need saltwater in order to breed. For that size tank one or two of the smaller nerites such as the olive ones would be perfect. The zebra and red spot nerites might be a bit big.

As for betta personality, you can set yourself up for success by adding all the other tankmates in before adding the betta. That way they don't appear to be "intruders". Even aggressive bettas will tend to be more tolerant of tankmates that were there before they arrived than they will of those added afterwards.

I looked into Nerite snails and they may be a better option... :ermm: I am a little sad that they arn't very colorful. I will have black substrate so I didn't want a dark colored snail.

I looked into Nerite snails and they may be a better option... :ermm: I am a little sad that they arn't very colorful. I will have black substrate so I didn't want a dark colored snail.

There are several varieties of Nerites. Mine are colorful.

And I had a Nerite on my 5.5g for a long time. If you forget to feed them and they die, that could impact the tank. They are FAST algae eaters. You must plan to feed them.

I've had yellow as well as red Nerites. One of the best looking snails.

There are several varieties of Nerites. Mine are colorful.

And I had a Nerite on my 5.5g for a long time. If you forget to feed them and they die, that could impact the tank. They are FAST algae eaters. You must plan to feed them.

I've had yellow as well as red Nerites. One of the best looking snails.

Where did you get yours? I was looking on EliteInverts.com and all of theirs are sold out. :(

Where did you get yours? I was looking on EliteInverts.com and all of theirs are sold out. :(

Liveaquaria.com has them, and last I checked they're on sale. Or, if you have a good LFS, ask them if they can get some. I wasn't thrilled about the prospect of $20 in shipping for half a dozen $3 snails so I went looking locally and when I told the folks at my LFS what I was looking for they said they could order some for me.

Liveaquaria.com has them, and last I checked they're on sale. Or, if you have a good LFS, ask them if they can get some. I wasn't thrilled about the prospect of $20 in shipping for half a dozen $3 snails so I went looking locally and when I told the folks at my LFS what I was looking for they said they could order some for me.

I did just check there... thanks. :lol: And yeah... half of my problem is that there is only one LFS here and they only do saltwater tanks. I don't understand why they don't think freshwater fish are worthy... :ermm:

I did just check there... thanks. :lol: And yeah... half of my problem is that there is only one LFS here and they only do saltwater tanks. I don't understand why they don't think freshwater fish are worthy... :ermm:

Bummer! I assume you have big box stores for freshwater stuff??

Back
Top Bottom