Bio media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dutchz

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the best bio media. Want to go with bio balls.

Bioballs work best when they're exposed to oxygen like in a wet/dry if your looking for a submersible media then Biomax from Fluval has the highest available biospace when compared to other commercially available media.

Here is the top three leaders in media.

Eheim Substrat Pro with over 450 m2 per liter = 4842 sq. ft. of surface area per liter.

Seachem Matrix provides over 160,000 cm2 per liter = 170 sq. ft. of surface area per liter.

Fluval Biomax each ceramic ring contains at least 100 square feet of surface area x approx 66 rings per liter = 6600 sq. ft. of surface area per liter. Link c. Each 17.63 oz box contains approximately 100 ceramic cylinders - perfect for most mid-sized (approximately 1-1/2 L) media baskets.

What is the application and or filter your using?

Last edited:
Ok maybe go with flu veal going to use on hob filter

What about bio balls can get plenty of pond ones super cheap.

Ya, those will work fune, but what i also suggest is geting a smaill pothos plant, clean all dirt out and have just the bare roots and stick it on top of your bio balls, the plant will live off of fish crap, and grow like CRAZY, it also brings nitrates down, and is very helpfull with water chemistry. I have one inside if my AC 2 growing on top of the bio valls too

I'm putting angels in sorry about delay did not check this one recently.

Back
Top Bottom