Bio-Spira

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettasrcool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Am i understanding how to use bio spira?
First you fill your aquarium with dechlorinated water
Then you add the bio spira
Then the next day you add your fish?

I have never used it so i can't answer your question but i just know it has to be cold the hole time from the manufactures to the LFS and home to your place or the benficial bacteria dies.

i don't use that i don't want to the best bacteria booster is cycle. ;)

I've gotta disagree. I've never seen any appreciable difference in cycling time when using Cycle, and I once used it for a couple of tanks. Snake oil IMO. ;)

Even Bio-spira is suspect IMHO. If it is not kept refrigerated on the way to the LFS (which you have no way of knowing) then it likely won't be successful. I've seen just as many threads where Biospira failed as I have where folks had success- granted, I think you are more likely to hear about failures, but still...

The tried-and-true, failsafe method is to fishless cycle. You can do it with pure ammonia, or with a raw grocery store shrimp. It does require patience, but ensures that your tank is ready to go for some fish when it's all said and done. To hurry it along, you can add some established filter media.

Patience is a virtue. Nothing good happens quickly in either the FW or salty side of this hobby.;)

you add it the same time you add the fish. i dont htink its being made anymore. dr tim has his own stuff out now too never tried it though.

p-33892-47863-fish-supply.jpg

Actually MG, I think that you're right and this is the product that replaced Bio-Spira. I may be wrong though, as I haven't relied on bacterial additives for years. :)

Very funny MG. :p

Believe it or not you guys, this is a friend of mine! LOL

Looks like that is for salt water setups. Either way I'd be skeptical of non-refrigerated bacteria. I'm not sure what is in there to keep the bacteria from dying. But I suppose there could be some suspension that can feed the bacteria for a given time. It would be interesting to see the shelf life of the product.

According to the FAQ at Dr. Tim's site, his stuff does not need to be refrigerated, as long as it is neither frozen nor left to heat up to 95 degrees F. My LFS keeps it in the fridge, as do I, but it is supposed to last 6 months 'on the shelf'.

I used the Dr. Tim's for my latest tank; initial dose of a few capfuls and then a little extra for each maintenance or new decoration. Aside from a brief spike in nitrites few days in, it has worked well.

Back
Top Bottom