Bio-Spira Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewH

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone here used bio-spira a few local friends of mine have but I haven't got in any contact with them. Should I add the bottle with fish? Or put the fish in for a day or so to build ammonia then put the bottle in?

Nevermind friend called me back. You can delete this thread

Someone else may want to know :)

Bio-Spira is added at the same time the fish are added. If you add fish and then wait for the ammonia to build, you may be risking too high of an ammonia concentration and the fish will be stressed. The Bio-Spira will still work to establish the bacterial colony in that instance but it's meant to be added with the fish so that no fish is stressed by an ammonia spike.

Test your water to make sure the Bio-Spira is working. I did see one ammonia reading on my test kit of about .25 ppm, and then the next day I saw a nitrite spike of .25 ppm. Between the second and third day is when I would say my tank cycled correctly - ammonia and nitrite readings of 0 and nitrate readings of between 5 and 10 ppm.

Glad to hear another success story. I introduced 6 Bloodfin Tetras today, right after I added the Bio-Spira. I'll be testing the water daily. Everyone I've talked to that has used it has had success so hopefully I won't be any different.

wait... what's this stuff about the plants helping the tank cycle? can someone gimme an explanation?

i'm looking to setup a pretty threadbare breeder tank for a pair of angelfish. i'd like to cycle it quickly. initially, i thought i'd dump some biospira, a bunch of flake food, and voila - cycled tank!

i'm not too comfortable with throwing the angelfish in there and using them as my ammonia source, but if the plants can take their place (i don't see how they could though) it's even better.

Plants are like a biological filter but they won't create ammonia. You could always get a few starter fish and then add the Bio-Spira. I added fish and Bio-Spira 30 hours ago I'll post the results when I finish testing the water in a min.

Before Fish and Bio-Spira

pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

30 Hours After Adding 6 Bloodfin Tetra and Bio-Spira

pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

The fish have been fed twice and they are still hungry.

30 hours is enough time for the food and waste to break down and start producing ammonia?

2 Days After Bio-Spira and Fish

pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 11 ppm.

A little off topic:

where on earth can you get this stuff??? I have been looking with no results so far...

I had to do a bit of traveling myself. Most stores don't carry it because it has to be cold.

Also one store said they didn't have it because I told them I wanted Bio-Spira but it comes under the name Tetra Safestart. The bacteria itself is called Nitro-Spira. I ended up finding it at a LFS about 10 miles away from my house

when does the ammonia usually begin to increase in a standard setup?

bluerose... you're in socal? where abouts? i know a LFS that sells the stuff in orange. he keeps the packets in the fridge too. i know there's a big thing about storing the stuff properly.

Safestart and Bio-Spira are different products. One is tried and test and needs refrigeration.

Back
Top Bottom