Bio-Spira Mail order found

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. The abreviations list will prove helpful. :) I will spend some more time browsing the main page.

Biggen, how bout an update on this product, last we read it came in warm and was not effective immediately, so what was the final outcome??

Biggen, how bout an update on this product

Sorry for the delayed response. Worked 80 hours last week at that Billfish tournament I talked about. Just know getting settled back down...

The results of the Bio-Spira proved interesting. As you know, all three one ounce packets came in warm. I put one packet in on Monday morning. Tested on Tuesday and there was no change in the nitrite (still at around 10 ppm). Then I put another packet in on Wednesday. When I checked the levels on Thursday the nitrite had fallen to around 5 ppm. By Friday it was at zero.

Now according to the product instructions, only one packet should have been needed since it was a 29 gallon tank. Also, the product was supposed to work in 24 hours so I shouldn't have had to use another packet anyway. However, since it came in warm, I figured that there must have been a die off of the bacteria in both packets but enough live bacteria existed to get the rest of the cycle going. Adding in the second packet, I can only guess, further helped the existing bacteria continue to work.

Now it is possible that the tank cycled on its own and the packets had no effect whatsoever. This is because my tank was in its 10th week and it was about time for it to cycle anyway. But I think it is too coincidental that the tank cycled the exact week the Bio-Spira came in.

In the end, I would definitely purchase this product again. I really do think it will revolutionize the hobby if LFS will start carrying it. I am going to use it in my store tank if I see that the levels are getting near toxic levels.

If anyone has any questions or comments don't hesitate to contact me.

It sounds like it did take the additional doses, due to the die-off from the package getting warm. I agree with Biggen's idea about it revolutionizing the hobby. If new fish-keepers use Bio Spira with their first set-ups, there's going to be a lot more people sticking around the hobby and a lot less empty tanks collecting dust in the garage by newbies fed-up and disgusted with New Tank Syndrome.

I have been extremely excited about this product since I first used it, and they call me "Bio-Spira Girl" at my LFS since I was setting up tanks all over town with the stuff. It has certainly been revolutionary for me. However, I really, really think that people need to understand the nitrification process, and have mixed feelings about a packet being sold with every goldfish. If you know WHY it works, it makes so much difference, and then you really appreciate what it does for you. Otherwise, it is just like the other products (that will remain nameless) that we see on the shelf to help cycle a tank and are skeptical about. Like I heard a chap say in the LFS when asked if his tank was cycled, "I have been doing this for 20 years and I NEVER cycled a tank." He did, he just didn't KNOW it!

TG

I asked about Bio Spira at my LFS and the owner's response was "Never heard of it".

I'm doing all the research I can before starting my new tank (which hopefully will arrive tomorrow or Friday!) and wanted to try Bio Spira to cycle my tank. But its so hot in Arizona right now, I just don't trust ordering it even packed with cold packs. It was 116 today... I don't think ANYTHING would survive on a truck for long at those temperatures.

I'm going to try a fishless cycle but I really wanted to try the stuff. :cry:

You are probably right about shipping to AZ this time of year. Nothing like the old-fashioned way! My "best" LFS, which has the healthiest fish and the most knowledgeable staff has never heard of Bio-Spira either. Another chain store where I would think twice about getting fish is the one that carries it, but they do not push it. That is the only thing I get when I go in there. Their markup is increasing so I am tempted to buy from Bernie in TN, but I do want to support them for supplying this product. I think it is important to support your local LFS :D

I have a 50gal tank that is set up with salt water, and I have added the bio spira to it yesturday, and It has been in there for 24hrs. and this morning when i checked it, all of my damsels died (2 died) and one of my shrimp,but my feather duster made it :) But the tank was quite cloudy, Is the fish susposed to die and the tank get cloudy after the cycle??? I also checked my levels and for it i got Nitrite=0.2 pH=7.9 Nitrate=10 or alittle less Amonia=0.2. All that is hooked up to my tank is:Filstar xP3 filter, Seaclone 100 protein skimmer, and a Turbo Twist-3x sterilizer. Also, my dad wanted a coral reef going and he went and got two florescent lights with reflectors, and they produce 200watts each bulb, and he is thinking about getting 3 100watts with the reflectors, should we keep the two 200watt bulbs or add 3 100 watts to our aquarium to setup enough light for coral and anenomes, or is neither lighting an option??? Thanks for your help/support :)

Did you add FW or SW B-S. If you added the FW B-s to a SW tank, all you did was add extra waste to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom