Bio Spira, Yea or Nea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy1954

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am really getting impatient with the time it is taking to cycle the tank. Anyone tried Bio Spira?

Thanks

Bio Spira can be hit and miss. I have had both successful and unsuccessful attempts with Bio Spira. The thing you have to worry about is the transportation of the Bio Spira. If it's not kept cold, the bacteria 're-awakens' and then would die before they got into your tank.

It's a $10-$15 gamble that you make. It might work, it might not. If it does work, then you just saved yourself anywhere from 2-6 weeks of cycle time. If not, then you're out $10....not that big of a loss. It's worth it to me (but I can get impatient sometimes!).

I just finished a fishless cycle (thank goodness) and it took me right at 4 weeks to complete. I got impatient about two weeks ago and started looking for Bio-Spira, unfortunatly I couldn't find any here :(. I think it's worth the gamble, but im pretty impatient too.

Yay!

It worked for me when I added my dwarf gourami and 6 black skirt tetras to my 20G. Regarding it being 'hit or miss' I think the trick is you HAVE to add the Bio-Spira and fish in together at the same time. Adding them in at seperate times is where things tend to go wrong, I think.

Yea but sometimes Nea, though sometimes Nea ends up being Yea but Yea never ends up being Nea.

It worked for me - 55g up and running w/ no problems in days. You HAVE to keep it cold though, make sure the pet store you get it from has it refrigerated and check it out yourself before you buy it - if the packaging is cold then theres a better chance it was kept right. Refrigerate as soon as you get home.

Then you just set it, AND FORGET IT!

-William

If anything this hobby used to do was teach you to be patient, belive it or not its a good thing to have when things actually do go south.

But, this product has had very good results when you get it from a reputable sorce (you know for certian its been handled correctly/kept refigerated)

I used it after watching my nitrites sit at the same level for 3 wks with no movement with that lovely rotting shrimp in the tank to continue to supply ammonia.
It worked great for me !
The store I bought it from wouldn't even take it out of the fridge and bring it to the counter until I was at the register waiting to pay. I took it home in an insulated lunchbag cooler with one of those blue ice blocks.
Of course there could have been prior issues with the shipping that neither the store nor I would have had a way of knowing, so it was still a gamble, but it was worth it to me :)

greenmaji said:
If anything this hobby used to do was teach you to be patient

"I remembers back in tha day there was no fancy smancy bacteria in a bag. There wasn't even tap water. You had to walk 10 miles into town to the well, up hill, both ways, 20 times to get water for your fish tank.... We had to start a small brush fire under the tank just to keep the temperature right! You kids got it easy!"

:wink:

I've used Bio-Spira about 12 times and it's worked perfectly every time. Unlike everything else that claims to cycle tanks, this stuff works!

I've heard lots of complaints about it not working; more often than not, it's because it's not been used properly. The product is meant to be added with fish to a new tank. Lots of folks have tried to use it to jump start a fishless cycle job, etc. Sometimes it works with that, sometimes it doesn't. This can easily be remedied, though: just do a large water change (to remove any built up wastes) and then add the B-S.

For those who can't find it locally, Bernie at my local shop ships it: www.fishstoretn.com

I've used Bio-Spira about 12 times and it's worked perfectly every time. Unlike everything else that claims to cycle tanks, this stuff works!

I've heard lots of complaints about it not working; more often than not, it's because it's not been used properly. The product is meant to be added with fish to a new tank. Lots of folks have tried to use it to jump start a fishless cycle job, etc. Sometimes it works with that, sometimes it doesn't. This can easily be remedied, though: just do a large water change (to remove any built up wastes) and then add the B-S.

For those who can't find it locally, Bernie at my local shop ships it: www.fishstoretn.com

smithw14 said:
greenmaji said:
If anything this hobby used to do was teach you to be patient

"I remembers back in tha day there was no fancy smancy bacteria in a bag. There wasn't even tap water. You had to walk 10 miles into town to the well, up hill, both ways, 20 times to get water for your fish tank.... We had to start a small brush fire under the tank just to keep the temperature right! You kids got it easy!"

:wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bernie has a good rep. for shipping this stuff correctly, he's a member here IIRC and if so PM him personaly :)

Back
Top Bottom