bio wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
my dad has a emporerbiowheel 170 i beleive he wants to know if the water intake location makes diffrence the tube does not go all the wat to the bottom it is like 3" off the bottom it is a 30g tank thank you for your time

Do you mean the instake is aout 3 inches from the bottom floor of the substrate? If so that should be alright. It supposed to be for tanks of about 50 gallons, and seeing that you have a 30g tank, the filtration process will be fine, the nozzle being 3 inches away from the ground should cause any problems.

The 170 is a penguin not an emperor not that it makes a difference based on your question. The tubes are adjusted by extensions as well. meaning if he wanted it to take water from the middle of the tank he can just cut off the tube and still be able to put it back with the extension ring (seperate purchase i'm sure). There would be little need to shorten it though unless there are fry in the substrate or sand is used. either way a prefilter should be used.

Scottw68TN said:
The 170 is a penguin not an emperor not that it makes a difference based on your question. The tubes are adjusted by extensions as well. meaning if he wanted it to take water from the middle of the tank he can just cut off the tube and still be able to put it back with the extension ring (seperate purchase i'm sure). There would be little need to shorten it though unless there are fry in the substrate or sand is used. either way a prefilter should be used.

While it is true it is a penguin, I must tell you that they both are built by Marineland, even the "elcheepo" at walmart is built by marineland.

yeah the regent or something like. They are both by marineland just different. Spraybars and extra media chambers. The emperor name refers to the emperor penguin the largest penguin breed.

I also have a 30 G with a Penguin 170 and my intake is about 5-6" above the substrate. With the Penguin 170, as long as the bottom piece (with the slits to let the water in) is submerged, and you pour water into the filter enough so that it starts coming out passed the biowheel, it will continue to filter the water and pull up more water. It doesn't have to be very deep at all.

Back
Top Bottom