Bio wheel or Aquaclear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen both biowheels and aquaclears in action and biowheels can definitely be noisy. I think some just get that way in time, because I've seen some that are perfectly silent. I'd just go with an aquaclear if I had a choice between the two, I like that you can see in them and they have plenty of media options.

As far as switching out filter media goes, don't do it. It's kind of a gimmick that some filter manufacturers push to sell more product. Some filters use an all in one kind of filter media insert that has sponge material, filter floss, and carbon all together. Since activated carbon only works for a few weeks to a month, they can justify telling people to swap out inserts monthly.

Activated carbon is optional, though, and nearly everyone I know does not use any in their setups.

The general idea with filter maintenance is to rinse old filter media in a container of old tank water and put it back in there till it is literally falling apart.
What does activated carbon do anyways?

Depending on which BioWheel filter you use, most of the ones above the 125 size can fit two cartridges. One for mechanical/chemical filtration and one for bio only.

I have always liked the Marineland brand filters, mainly because the filters actually flow the rated gph and they have very sturdy intake tubes. I have been using Marinelands since the HOT MagnumPro came out in the early 90s. When compared to other HOB filters I've had/have with the same gph on the box, the Marineland brand flows way more water.

I run mine with the regular carbon cartridge in the primary slot and a second plastic clamshell with just blue foam in it as as the bio media. I have no real issues with noise once the wheel breaks in and absorbs water and the bio filtration is strong. The biowheels themselves turn light brown after a while. Using a biomedia cartridge in the secondary slot means I can replace the primary cartridge at will with no issues.

In large scale, biowheel type devices are used by some large municipal water treatment plants to clean the waste water naturally. The theory is sound, I just have zero proof that it works on an aquarium. I have no issues and will continue to buy them.

If you think the Aquaclear filters will work best for you, then by all means go for it. I hear many good things about them. I may try one out some day myself and see how it goes.

I don't think anyone will argue that Aqua Clear makes the best HOB's, but I think Aqueon power filters are the underdog. Those things really move water.

I prefer the Bio wheel because when changing your filter you will not have a mini cycle because there is still plenty left on the bio wheel. The more space in the filter for bb to grow the better.

Laser said:
I don't think anyone will argue that Aqua Clear makes the best HOB's, but I think Aqueon power filters are the underdog. Those things really move water.

I have to second Laser's statement! I have both marinelands (which are very loud) and aqueons. The aqueons outflow the marinelands (all 400gph) by a landslide. I actually have to dampen the intakes with filter foam because its a hazard for my guys. I will definitely give the ACs a try though the next time I'm in the market for a filter! :)

I swear by my AC's. I have like 6 110's running. All done the same way. Foam cut in half(long ways) and two bags of bio rings. The water parameters never even flinch even if I was to add a whole new foam pad. (I tried just to see if it would).

It don't really matter which you get both the pen/emp and AC are both great filters.

I have to second Laser's statement! I have both marinelands (which are very loud) and aqueons. The aqueons outflow the marinelands (all 400gph) by a landslide.

I have the exact opposite result. Funny how that happens between different users.

My Aqueon 30, rated at 200gph is not flowing even close to that. Maybe, maybe 100gph, and it's new. Both my Marineland Penguin 200s rated at 200gph are flowing WAY more water each.

I should post a pic of the difference, it's easy to see.

I have the exact opposite result. Funny how that happens between different users.

My Aqueon 30, rated at 200gph is not flowing even close to that. Maybe, maybe 100gph, and it's new. Both my Marineland Penguin 200s rated at 200gph are flowing WAY more water each.

I should post a pic of the difference, it's easy to see.

I would guess there is something wrong with it. I have 3 aqueon 10's and a 75. The aqueon 10's keep my betta tanks from getting stagnant water on the top, the marineland 10's couldn't do that. The 75 pushes water with much greater force than my emperor 400. I think this is because the pump is actually in the water.

I have two Emperor 400's on my 55 and I cant hear anything.One is the old one with the adjustable water flow and one is the new style.Priming the old one can take a couple minutes,but the new one is super easy.

If I had to guess,I would say that my old one is at least 15 years old.I have no issues and as far as customization of the media goes,you can put anything you want in the gray clamshell.If that isnt enough just order another pair of the clamshells and put whatever you want in both slots. I run my tank totally full,so I dont hear anything from the return.

The only noise I hear is from the bubbles surfacing from my airstone.

I have had the aqua clear filter for up to 20 gallons on both my 20 gallon and 12 gallon tank. It didn't do so well on the 20 gallon but then again it was my first experience with a fish tank and the tank was definatly over stocked. On the 12 gallon I have now it does a great job! It's very quiet and keeps the tank clear. So I would say its pretty good.

Aqua Clear any day! Bio wheels would stop turning and then you lose bb. I have 4 AC 110's , 2 AC 70's, 1 AC 50 and an AC 30. I will never buy any other HOB... Ditto to all the previous commentors on the AC

Back
Top Bottom