Bio-wheel with no bio-wheel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't take the wheels out. I have the Tidepool wet/dry filter and it has a huge bio-filter wheel that really lets the nitrogen cycle take place.
Not to mention that I also own 2 Penguin 350-B's that also do a great job of enhancing the nitrogen cycle on other tanks I have.

Of course do not forget this is a personal preference and not by any means written into law.

The only reason I'd really do it is because of the noise. My tank is in my bedroom so noise is a pretty big factor. With it in and water level only about a mm above the lip, I can hear the water dripping down on the plastic and it gets irritating. When thhe level lowers, it gets even louder. If I take it out, all that can be heard is the humming from the filter, which I don't mind because I'm used to having a computer in my room and I find it rather relaxing. I have the wheel in for cycling, and after I get fish I am going to keep it in for a few days, then take it out and see how my parameters are doing.

I agree with lonewolfblue, any other time, if something such as ceramic rings, bio balls, etc. isn't used than the bio wheel is important for beneficial bacteria growth to help maintain a healthy tank and fish

Marconis - If noise is a concern you might want to look at getting canister. What size tank are we talking about by the way? If you can justify spending the $ you can get a ehiem, from what I have read and what people have written, these guys are super quiet and relieable. You can also go with a Rena XP's, they are cheaper and I have been told slightly louder than the ehiem, some people say they can't really tell. Or you could try a Aqua Clear, people have said they are quieter than the Peguin and Emps, but the one I got about a month ago seems to chatter alot, until I tap the top and then it goes away. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sparky, for that link you gave me a while back of that material. that never has to be replaced? Would that, one filter cartridge and no bio wheel be okay?

Back
Top Bottom