Bioballs vs ceramic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xray

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I got my fluval 404 it cam with ceramic media (two different shapes). It was not enough to fill all of the compartments, so I went and bought some Bioballs. :lol:
My question is, which is better. Should I trash the balls and buy more ceramic or are they good.

I believe both are good! It's the amount of surface that counts, the material it is made from is of lesser importance.

Ceramic media has way most surface area than bio balls. For the ammount of space they take up in the filter, ceramic is the way to go.

The bio media the canister came with is probably more than enough to keep the tank healthy. The bio balls are just a bonus. What else is in the compartments? I like to have filter floss in the last compartment, it really polsishes the water.

I agree that ceramics is the way to go. They are generally smaller and most likely have more surface area than the Bio Balls so you can fit more of them into a smaller space.

I only use ceramic media in my canisters, but the bio balls will do a fine job (and I believe they are cheaper).

Back
Top Bottom