Biofilm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
This biofilm is very annoying. The water has all of these disgusting little slick blobs on the surface. Im trying the paper towel thing now. It makes my tank look all cloudy.

I have an AC 150 and the surface agitation is not the culprit... I think.

But I'll try.

Do powerheads make noise? Can anyone reccomend a good one for a 10g under $30?

I have some in my reef but they are drowned out by everything else.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always found that it clears up if I increase surface agitation by changing the orientation of outlets and / or water level. Increasing flow, upgrading or adding a filter can help as well. What filter, tank size, routine, stock, etc?

Biofilm typically refers to the slimy surfaces on the inside of the tank. The film that you are talking about on the surface is usually dealt with by increasing agitation, as mentioned, or changing feed. What kind of food are you using?

I've always called it biofilm, but it's also called surface protein film or something like that. And, I'll agree that surface agitation will cure it. Lower the water level a bit and I'll almost guarantee it goes away... or you could add one of those tacky bubblers.

I don't want to lower my water level, lol. But I guess I will if I have to make it go away.

Feeding: Aqueon Tropical Flakes 1x per day (PM) apart from the following:

Hikari Sinking Pellets on Fridays

Cucumber and Peas (blanched) on Saturdays

Occasional 1/4 of a Hikari Algae Wafer every 2-3 days,

Wardleys Shrimp Pellets every 2 Weeks

I do 30% Water changes with a gravel vac 1-2x per week. Pull up alot of gunk, I vacuum in the corners, neat trick lol.

Stock-

2x Platy
1x Bolivian Ram
2x Otocinclus

This started before adding the ram and otos and after removing my other filter as I had them running side by side... Creating surface agitation... Aha....

You can also increase surface cirulation/agetation by getting someting like a marineland powerhead. I use one and it works great.:cool:

That would work... but with 150 gph of flow already, in addition to the powerhead, would be a ton for a 10g planted IMO

That would work... but with 150 gph of flow already, in addition to the powerhead, would be a ton for a 10g planted IMO
A Maineland Maxi-Jet 400 in power head mode only does 110 GPH of circulation. Also if you put the powerhead half way down the middle of the tank and angle the output nozzel at 45 degrees it will be a more gentle flow. The flow from the output nozzel will gently hit the surface of the tank. Also use it without the venturi feature. It will help circulate the water to evenly distribute heat, keep bio-film away and help areate the water by breaking open the surface of the water and allowing oxygen to enter the water and other gasses to escape.
Depending where you buy the Max Jet 400 (either online or in a major pet supply store or local fish store) it usually costs between $15 - $45.

A Maineland Maxi-Jet 400 in power head mode only does 110 GPH of circulation. Also if you put the powerhead half way down the middle of the tank and angle the output nozzel at 45 degrees it will be a more gentle flow. The flow from the output nozzel will gently hit the surface of the tank. Also use it without the venturi feature. It will help circulate the water to evenly distribute heat, keep bio-film away and help areate the water by breaking open the surface of the water and allowing oxygen to enter the water and other gasses to escape.
Depending where you buy the Max Jet 400 (either online or in a major pet supply store or local fish store) it usually costs between $15 - $45.

260gph of flow in a planted tank is a ton, especially for ten gallons. i am not saying it's too much-I am just saying that the plants may not grow well because the current may push leaves around.

The Hagen AquaClear 30 Power Filter - (formerly AquaClear "150" Power Filter) has variable flow control. You can put the flow control down to the lowest setting which is 50 GPH which is good since the biological bacteria will have a lot of "contact time" and help greatly in filtration. The the marineland maxi jet 400 in powerhead mode will produce 110 GPH of flow so I think the conbination of both would be good for the tank.

The Hagen AquaClear 30 Power Filter - (formerly AquaClear "150" Power Filter) has variable flow control. You can put the flow control down to the lowest setting which is 50 GPH which is good since the biological bacteria will have a lot of "contact time" and help greatly in filtration. The the marineland maxi jet 400 in powerhead mode will produce 110 GPH of flow so I think the conbination of both would be good for the tank.

That is better. 160gph sounds a lot more plant friendly. LOL I happen to have an AC30, and it is pretty nice. i never use the minimal flow though.

Overfiltering is an awesome thing lol. Plus, I'm guesing the amazon moves alot? Lol

Back
Top Bottom