BioSpira Availability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All...

I am starting up a new ten-gallon tank after a bit of a bad experience with a 2-gallon. After reading through the forum, I've decided that I would really like to use BioSpira instead of Cycle.

The problem? I live in Canada and have been totally unable to find BioSpira here. I have found US-based websites that will ship to Canada, but I'm a poor college student and can't afford the extra shipping and duty charges (they are up to about $20 USD, with is about $30 Cdn., on top of the product price and the regular shipping charge).

Does anyone know of any way to get BioSpira in Canada without ordering from a US site? The lfs in my area keep telling me that I don't need BioSpira, and should just use Cycle...but I'm unconvinced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and will be in Winnipeg, MB for the holidays.

Thanks!

No Cycle.... It doesn't work in my experience and in the experience of many others.

BioSpira is tough to find! Best bet is to give "Bernie" a PM and ask him... Have you seen his www.fishstoretn site yet? I'm guessing someone's referred you to the site already, though...

I'm a poor college student, too.... I hear ya. :wink:

I did check out Bernie's site, but for one small bottle of BioSpira it would cost about $40-50 Cdn. for me...which is totally out of my price range. I guess because it has to be cold-packed, shipping from that far away will be out of my price range (I'm about an eight hour drive north of the Canada-US border).

I'm hoping that *someone* will sell it in Canada so I can avoid the exchange rate and duty charges...

Sara said:
Hi All...

I am starting up a new ten-gallon tank after a bit of a bad experience with a 2-gallon. After reading through the forum, I've decided that I would really like to use BioSpira instead of Cycle.

The problem? I live in Canada and have been totally unable to find BioSpira here. I have found US-based websites that will ship to Canada, but I'm a poor college student and can't afford the extra shipping and duty charges (they are up to about $20 USD, with is about $30 Cdn., on top of the product price and the regular shipping charge).

Does anyone know of any way to get BioSpira in Canada without ordering from a US site? The lfs in my area keep telling me that I don't need BioSpira, and should just use Cycle...but I'm unconvinced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and will be in Winnipeg, MB for the holidays.

Thanks!

good luck getting it, I tried a couple months ago. Apparently the US won't allow it to cross the border because it's "bacteria". All the customs checks and such would ultimately cause it to skyrocket in price once it got up here as well. Besides, I even went to the states to try and find it and nobody even knew what I was talking about. "Bio-what?"

Instead of Biospira, a cheap alternative would be the fishless method (all you need is some ammonia), although you'll need a bit of patience (like 6-8 weeks).

Another alternative, you can do the "silent cycle" using plants. Rex from the planted tank forum has the info here:
http://members.dsl-only.net/~rex/

That happened to me...I went into a lfs here and asked them if they had bio-spira, and they had no clue what I was talking about. Although they did carry all the other "bio" products. Good luck and I hope everything turns out well.

I heard it was on Marineland's end that Biospira was so difficult to get a hold of. I tend to believe that considering all of the comments posted on this board. My LFS has a whole Biospira fridge at the front counter... but most of the time can't get any product.

Hi all...

I understand all of your concerns. Many places have not bothered to "dig in"
and find out just what Bio-spira is.

Marineland has recently "eased" their concerns to keep Bio-spira refrigerated;
although they still ship it (like I do) with a cold pack to keep it "cool".
They have said that.... just keeping it at "stable" room temps is OK, too.

My thoughts are that it is prob correct....however, at cooler temps the viability
(or how many of the live bacteria are healthy and ready to go) remains better
at the cooler temps. Relying on "stable" temps is not a very reliable method
in just any stores or warehouse.

On shipping..... I have shipped many times to Canada. Customs is not the problem
except for the extra time it takes to clear!! Generally FedEx is faster but more
expensive than USPS. The cheapest to Canada is USPS Global Express which
runs about $ 18-20, plus the Bio (1oz $7.99/ 3oz $17.99). It generally takes
4-5 days and with the weather this time of year (especially in Canada) it shouldn't
matter if it took 2 weeks!! (LOL!!!) So, I suppose, it could even be sent International Parcel Post and do just fine and "cheaper" yet!!
I sent some Omega food to Scotland, UK not long ago and got there in 4 days
via Parcel Post. Of course, shipping gets a bit slower as we get closer to
Christmas!

Anyway, just thought I'd give some added info here!!!

Take care

Bernie

Bernie, Our low this week is -20 (yep. minus 20). If you send reg. post, we'll get a chunk of ice! Or would biospira work after being frozen?

Good point.... No it can't be frozen; so, it would have to be protected from that!

A lot there would depend on how their pkgs are being handled (kept during day
and overnight??)

Maybe we should start using "heat packs" to some areas, huh?? (just kidding!!)

Bernie

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I'll keep digging, and maybe (fingers crossed!) wind up with some Bio-Spira cash after the holidays...

Just discussed some shipping options with my postal people;

They suggested using Global Priority vice Global Express ...... Priority takes
only about 1-2 days longer. Especially this time of year, and with the less-stringent
requirement for "coolness" which Marineland advises is not as "strict" as once
thought; shipping can be reduced to about $ 10.00 vice the $ 18.95 ave. for
Express.

I just had reports of a Canadian shipment that took 7 days and was just fine
(still cool) ...to Calgary, Alberta. Had one more leave this morning for Quebec.

So, I'm going to update my selections for shipping to include these options.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Bernie

Also now having inquiries for New Delhi, India which we may start doing soon.

Back
Top Bottom