Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2003, 02:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

BioSpira Availability

Hi All...

I am starting up a new ten-gallon tank after a bit of a bad experience with a 2-gallon. After reading through the forum, I've decided that I would really like to use BioSpira instead of Cycle.

The problem? I live in Canada and have been totally unable to find BioSpira here. I have found US-based websites that will ship to Canada, but I'm a poor college student and can't afford the extra shipping and duty charges (they are up to about $20 USD, with is about $30 Cdn., on top of the product price and the regular shipping charge).

Does anyone know of any way to get BioSpira in Canada without ordering from a US site? The lfs in my area keep telling me that I don't need BioSpira, and should just use Cycle...but I'm unconvinced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and will be in Winnipeg, MB for the holidays.

Thanks!

Old 12-01-2003, 03:10 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
No Cycle.... It doesn't work in my experience and in the experience of many others.

BioSpira is tough to find! Best bet is to give "Bernie" a PM and ask him... Have you seen his www.fishstoretn site yet? I'm guessing someone's referred you to the site already, though...

I'm a poor college student, too.... I hear ya.

Old 12-01-2003, 03:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did check out Bernie's site, but for one small bottle of BioSpira it would cost about $40-50 Cdn. for me...which is totally out of my price range. I guess because it has to be cold-packed, shipping from that far away will be out of my price range (I'm about an eight hour drive north of the Canada-US border).

I'm hoping that *someone* will sell it in Canada so I can avoid the exchange rate and duty charges...
Old 12-01-2003, 10:26 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Try calling up bigals to see if they stock it... www.bigalsonline.com They're based in Toronto.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
Re: BioSpira Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
Hi All...

I am starting up a new ten-gallon tank after a bit of a bad experience with a 2-gallon. After reading through the forum, I've decided that I would really like to use BioSpira instead of Cycle.

The problem? I live in Canada and have been totally unable to find BioSpira here. I have found US-based websites that will ship to Canada, but I'm a poor college student and can't afford the extra shipping and duty charges (they are up to about $20 USD, with is about $30 Cdn., on top of the product price and the regular shipping charge).

Does anyone know of any way to get BioSpira in Canada without ordering from a US site? The lfs in my area keep telling me that I don't need BioSpira, and should just use Cycle...but I'm unconvinced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and will be in Winnipeg, MB for the holidays.

Thanks!
good luck getting it, I tried a couple months ago. Apparently the US won't allow it to cross the border because it's "bacteria". All the customs checks and such would ultimately cause it to skyrocket in price once it got up here as well. Besides, I even went to the states to try and find it and nobody even knew what I was talking about. "Bio-what?"
Old 12-01-2003, 10:59 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Instead of Biospira, a cheap alternative would be the fishless method (all you need is some ammonia), although you'll need a bit of patience (like 6-8 weeks).

Another alternative, you can do the "silent cycle" using plants. Rex from the planted tank forum has the info here:
http://members.dsl-only.net/~rex/
Old 12-01-2003, 11:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to freshwatergal
That happened to me...I went into a lfs here and asked them if they had bio-spira, and they had no clue what I was talking about. Although they did carry all the other "bio" products. Good luck and I hope everything turns out well.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I heard it was on Marineland's end that Biospira was so difficult to get a hold of. I tend to believe that considering all of the comments posted on this board. My LFS has a whole Biospira fridge at the front counter... but most of the time can't get any product.

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi all...

I understand all of your concerns. Many places have not bothered to "dig in"
and find out just what Bio-spira is.

Marineland has recently "eased" their concerns to keep Bio-spira refrigerated;
although they still ship it (like I do) with a cold pack to keep it "cool".
They have said that.... just keeping it at "stable" room temps is OK, too.

My thoughts are that it is prob correct....however, at cooler temps the viability
(or how many of the live bacteria are healthy and ready to go) remains better
at the cooler temps. Relying on "stable" temps is not a very reliable method
in just any stores or warehouse.

On shipping..... I have shipped many times to Canada. Customs is not the problem
except for the extra time it takes to clear!! Generally FedEx is faster but more
expensive than USPS. The cheapest to Canada is USPS Global Express which
runs about $ 18-20, plus the Bio (1oz $7.99/ 3oz $17.99). It generally takes
4-5 days and with the weather this time of year (especially in Canada) it shouldn't
matter if it took 2 weeks!! (LOL!!!) So, I suppose, it could even be sent International Parcel Post and do just fine and "cheaper" yet!!
I sent some Omega food to Scotland, UK not long ago and got there in 4 days
via Parcel Post. Of course, shipping gets a bit slower as we get closer to
Christmas!

Anyway, just thought I'd give some added info here!!!

Take care

Bernie
http://www.fishstoretn.com
JOIN US @http://www.aquatic-enterprises.com/TNAS/TNAS.htm
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:36 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Bernie, Our low this week is -20 (yep. minus 20). If you send reg. post, we'll get a chunk of ice! Or would biospira work after being frozen?

Tags
bio, biospira

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com