biowheel on the penguin 330

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tentacles

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have the penguin 330 biowheel HOB on my 55g and I was curious as to the importance of the ''bio-wheels'' I took them off last night since i put clean filters in it and it got so loud, and the tank seemed to do fine, much much quieter without the wheels and it didnt get dirty or anything. How important are they, does anyone else run it without the wheel like a topfin or aquaclear HOB? thanks

reefmonkey is a master bio-engineer, and he said that he contructs giant ones for dams or something, and that he did the math, and the bacteria those these grow is insufficient.

and while some people say they notice an amonia raise when they dont use one, after using one for some time, i stopped. penguins lose alot or power after a year or two, honestly marineland has a nice site, and good looking products, but go with tetra or whisper, they get the job done

it isnt really hard to keep amonia down, especially if you do pwcs weekly

I don't use them on any of my filters except for the Eclipse and that's because it is built in.

it isnt really hard to keep amonia down, especially if you do pwcs weekly

You shouldn't have ammonia readings anyway if you have a cycled tank.

Fishyfanatic said:
You shouldn't have ammonia readings anyway if you have a cycled tank.

wow, sorry was kinda out of it when i wote that. i meant nitrates or nitrites, whatever the bio-wheel gets rid off. nitrites and amonia should be zero though anyways

they are good for when u switch out the filter pad frequently since u are removing a large amount of your bacteria at once and the biowheel kindo hold some so the filter pad can build back up with it. besdies that they are loud and annoying lol. never go with a tetra or a wisper lol always go with an aquaclear. i have owned all different brands and nothign compares to the aquaclear for a HOB. i have the 350B on my 55 aswell. i didnt think it was enough for my cichlids so i threw an XP3 on there aswell lol now there is lots of filtration.

Back
Top Bottom