Biowheel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are biowheels on filters supposed to turn fast? Mine turn very slow... I have a marineland penguin biowheel 200 on my 20 gal. and a marineland emperor 400 on my 55 gallon. also, is that adequate filtration for both tanks? THANKS!

missie said:
Are biowheels on filters supposed to turn fast? Mine turn very slow... I have a marineland penguin biowheel 200 on my 20 gal. and a marineland emperor 400 on my 55 gallon. also, is that adequate filtration for both tanks? THANKS!

It doesn't matter how fast they spin, as long as the bacteria that loves on them is fine. The 20g filter is fine, but I would add another filter to the 55 gallon. If it were me I would just get another emperor.

It doesn't matter how fast they spin, as long as the bacteria that loves on them is fine. The 20g filter is fine, but I would add another filter to the 55 gallon. If it were me I would just get another emperor.

ok, thanks!

maxwellag said:

+1
As long as it doesn't stop it's fine.

+1
As long as it doesn't stop it's fine.

Sometimes it will pause for a just a quick sec, and I just cant figure it out. I have the correct size carbon filter in there but it seems if i take the filter out the biowheel speeds up more than 2x the speed it runs with the filter in there. im wondering if my carbon filter is the prob for some odd reason..??
Thanks for your response!

missie said:
Sometimes it will pause for a just a quick sec, and I just cant figure it out. I have the correct size carbon filter in there but it seems if i take the filter out the biowheel speeds up more than 2x the speed it runs with the filter in there. im wondering if my carbon filter is the prob for some odd reason..??
Thanks for your response!

You don't really need the carbon, it is just used to remove discoloration from the water. Taking it out would help the beneficial bacteria a lot.

They will normally slow down after some time of being on the tank. Each of the flaps will gather up weight separately, so it will not turn as evenly as it will from first use, so it gets bogged down. Swish it around in some tank water during a PWC and make sure the spokes and the slots they are in are well cleaned. I had a problem with some algae building in one of the slots and it slowed down one of mine.

I believe the manual or box or something even will warn of it slowing down with time.

One thing I experienced while using a Penguin filter was if the intake tube gets a lot of build up in it then the wheel will slow or stop even with a brand new media cartridge. Take it off and run a pipe cleaner through it. Also clean off the impeller and the socket it sits in.

I appreciate the great advice, I have to admit though..Im lost! :) I dont know that an impeller is or a socket. also, How do you take the carbon out of a filter and what do i replace it with.
Sorry Guys, I may need a play by play on this one..Thanks :)

missie said:
I appreciate the great advice, I have to admit though..Im lost! :) I dont know that an impeller is or a socket. also, How do you take the carbon out of a filter and what do i replace it with.
Sorry Guys, I may need a play by play on this one..Thanks :)

The impeller is the little piece that spins on a shaft, which is how water is sucked up. It looks sort of like a propeller, but its "blades" are straight and not curved. To take the carbon out of the filter, pull the basket that has it out. No need to replace it with anything.

You rip a hole in the cartridge and get it out. I use filter pads and cut to size, personally. I don't use carbon on a normal basis. So, something like this:

Marineland Bonded Filter Pads at PETCO

It's much cheaper to buy something like this and cut it to the right size. Especially if you have multiple tanks. Only issue is that it doesn't have a frame to keep it put and if you aren't keeping up with swishing it or its old, it can flop down and touch the biowheel. So, just keep up with rising it and no issues. Some people use other things also as a filter pad, but this is my go-to item.

Here's an impeller:

Yours might not look like this. It might be a different color.

my carbon filter doesent have a basket.. its blue spongie stuff with a plastic black, the carbon is inside. refill cartridge or something? When I bought the filter it came with plastic basket for carbon but the refill thing didnt fit so i just did the refills. I plan on getting pipe cleaners and cleaning the impeller and socket. hope that helps! thanks again!

You rip a hole in the cartridge and get it out. I use filter pads and cut to size, personally. I don't use carbon on a normal basis. So, something like this:

Marineland Bonded Filter Pads at PETCO

It's much cheaper to buy something like this and cut it to the right size. Especially if you have multiple tanks. Only issue is that it doesn't have a frame to keep it put and if you aren't keeping up with swishing it or its old, it can flop down and touch the biowheel. So, just keep up with rising it and no issues. Some people use other things also as a filter pad, but this is my go-to item.

SO you just put the above pads in replacement of the carbon filters? thanks.

Yep. Just cut it to size and run it with your current cartigde for about a few weeks so that the bacteria builds and then throw away the old one.

And you just rip/cut a hole and swish it in a bucket of water or something to get all the old carbon out. Carbon lasts about two to four weeks, depending on the amount and tank.

Pull straight up on the intake tube and it will lift out. There is a plastic cover inside the filter that the tube connects into, pull straight up on this cover and it will come out too. Under that cover sits the impeller, it pulls out also. Clean everything.

As far as the carbon goes, cut a slit in the filter floss of the cartridge and dump it out. When you need to replace the floss rip the old stuff off of the plastic cartridge frame and, using rubber bands or string, attach a cut to size piece (slightly large than the frame) of the above mentioned bulk media. It will save you a small fortune in cartridge replacements.

The plastic clamshell "basket" goes in the extra slot between the main cartridge slot and bio wheel. You can use it for carbon if you like or put some in a nylon bag and drop it in that space.

Back
Top Bottom