Bit of a panic! (sorry, pretty long post!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just peacefully watching my fishes and their antics when i noticed some water at the bottom of my tank (on the outside of course!), i gently slid the tank back a bit and found a fair bit of moisture underneath the tank. It has slightly damaged the unit it stands on (the wood has absorbed some water, causing it to expand and look rubbish!), so i am a bit annoyed.

The main problem tho is how did it get there? I am hoping it isnt a leak, i think it may be water vapour condensing on the underside of the hood, running to the side and then dripping down the glass and collecting underneath the tank.

It is definitely a slow flow of water whatever it is, because since wiping it, practically no more water has appeared.

Somehow i need too move my tank!!

Is it best to catch the fish and put them in buckets of tank water, or can I leave them in (to save disturbing all the plants and rocks etc), and just leave a small amount of water in the tank. Then I will lift the tank down, (with help from my bro) dry it, and check out the prob in more detail.

IF it is only condensation, im thinking i can get a condensation tray to solve the problem, will this stop the condensed water running to the sides, and escaping my tank?

So (if it will solve the prob), then put the condensation tray in, replace the tank on the unit, and refill (I would keep some tank water in buckets and then top up with treated tap water).

However, if it is a leak, I guess im screwed! I will have to empty my tank, I don’t know where I will put the fish, and I will have to destroy my creation!

Has anyone got any advice? Or has anyone else had a problem with condensation dripping down the outside of their tank? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, im going to have to go ahead anyway, but and help would be great.

I've moved small tanks before by just removing most of the water and leaving the fish in there, however I probably wouldn't do that with a tank I suspected could be leaking!!!
Sounds like time to buy a new tank. That way you can transfer the fish to a new tank and then figure out what exactly is going on with this one. My best guess would be that a seal is leaking since none of my tanks are wet around the bottem. If it is just a seal then you could reseal the tank yourself. Have you done any majorly sloppy water changes lately where water could have spilled down the tank and pooled under it? I've never had a problem with condensation dripping down. Also you need to actually get the tank off the stand so you can see how bad the problem is. There could be major warping of the stand, especially if it isn't meant to be an aquarium stand.

Im pretty sure it isnt leaking, but its not impossible. An now you say it, i did spill a bit of water recently. I know im going to have to lift the tank off of the stand, i need to dry the stand, check that it isnt badly damaged (which i doubt) and also check the tank over. The stand is an aquarium stand, its the correct stand for the tank.

Since my first post i have checked it again, im pretty sure it is either spilt water, or condesation. I have only had the tank set up since early december, i filled it before setting it up, and it didnt leak then.

Back
Top Bottom