Bitten by the bug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so... Prior to Christmas 2012, we had no fish tanks and zero interest in keeping them. Then on a whim my sister bought my toddler son a *tiny* tank as a gift. We got a goldfish, discovered the tank was far too small and upgraded. Then we went full steam and got a 250litre tank which I thought would be the limit and I'd be satisfied. Turns out, I've only whet my appetite. So, here I am, sitting on a dining room chair, watching the fish in our beast (the big one), dreaming of another tank to fill with wondrous creatures. Husband agrees, hopefully by November, we will have another, albeit smaller, new tank to fill. So, here's my point. If you could have any fish, in any combinations, with zero restrictions, what would you fill your ideal (wishful) tank with?

Probably get a great white shark or a hammer shark. I know no one or almost no one has had succes keeping them alive as they aren't very hardy fish as pets.
Anyways, if you were looking for some fish and if you have time and dedication, switching to a salt water opens endless possibility's on the fish you can get. A lionhead would be one of my favorites also, but requires immense aquariums.
May i ask what type of goldfish and how many you have?:)

Yeah we have a calico fantail and a black moor. Looking to upgrade again for them since the tank is still too small but far better than what we started out in. (Money is seriously an issue so I'm checking the classifieds and eBay on a regular basis). They are very happy and healthy and growing at an extraordinary rate! This also means we'd have their tank free to turn into a tropical tank for some more lovelies!

The saltwater thing fascinates me, but I find the idea terrifying. If people wanted to really explain how to do it in layman's terms and show me that it isn't the difficult, expensive hobby I think it is, then is be raring to go! For the meantime, I think some species tanks would be excellent, a discus tank, some angels, some sharks, some angels, chiclids, etc... But the fish I love best, which really surprised me, are the plecos. I'd really love to have some breeding starlight plecs. I've almost bought some juveniles off eBay several times, but our big tank is fully stocked and I shall have a new tank in a few months time.

Oh, and I think my star fish would be a Sohal Surgeonfish. (I know, marine...) but I studied fish behaviour for my dissertation at Uni, and my focal species was the Sohal surgeonfish. Really fell in love with them. Spent hours at the aquarium in Plymouth watching them. Lost one to a shark. That was traumatic.

That's interesting:)
Also, saltwater isn't advised for beginners usually. It's a lot of dedication and work. Not to mention that the filters are different, so is the maintenance.
For a nice fish that doesn't need that much space(55Gal minimum-75Gallon), ir would be the Astronotus Ocellatus(Oscar Fish). Amazing and very entertaining fish! Its my favorite after sharks. They are usually called aquarium puppies. They become very tame, and quickly recognize they're owner. They aren't aggressive as juveniles usually:L
What aquarium size/type are you getting next time? And what fish were you precisely looking to stock?

No I figured. Hence I've no interest in trying saltwater. Tank size will depend entirely on cost and space. We can't fit another beast in our home, but probably 150 litres or so would be manageable. In terms of what I'd like to stock, it's simple things... Guppies, plecs of assorted varieties, discus are particularly beautiful and I'd love some of them, I've heard about oscars being particularly friendly and lovely to keep... I'd love to try breeding fish ... The idea of eggs and fry excites me. I'd love to have a dwarf puffer fish. That sort of thing. What do you have?

Had to give a bit of what i had to my brother temporarily since i'm going on vacation. I currently own oscars, a convict, a ray(not sure if sting or manta) and an arowana. The rest is at my brothers house. My sister is keeping charge of these:)

I was bitten with a Betta almost a year ago, up to 4 tanks now! My husband wanted a pea puffer tank and a reef tank after I dove into a planted 29 and a 55 FOWLR salt tank with small starter community and CUC.

I love red cherry shrimp in my Betta tank, so cute and busy and they happily reproduce. Always keeping the driftwood looking clean too! And the pea puffer eats my crazy pond snail population, the rumors are true EVERYONE gets run over by snails at some point ;)

well i guess that when you tell yourself this is the last tank your getting, you always end up getting another...

Had to give a bit of what i had to my brother temporarily since i'm going on vacation. I currently own oscars, a convict, a ray(not sure if sting or manta) and an arowana. The rest is at my brothers house. My sister is keeping charge of these:)

You have fab fish! Wow! Impressed with the ray. :)

I was bitten with a Betta almost a year ago, up to 4 tanks now! My husband wanted a pea puffer tank and a reef tank after I dove into a planted 29 and a 55 FOWLR salt tank with small starter community and CUC.

I love red cherry shrimp in my Betta tank, so cute and busy and they happily reproduce. Always keeping the driftwood looking clean too! And the pea puffer eats my crazy pond snail population, the rumors are true EVERYONE gets run over by snails at some point ;)

That's how it starts. Seemingly innocent and innocuous, then bam, you're hooked before you even know what hit you! :)

You have fab fish! Wow! Impressed with the ray. :)
Yeah:) I made a post about it asking if it was cheap. I don't remember, but i know it was around 15-30$:)
They were baby's. Still are but grew a bit. I don't take care of it apart from feed it as my sister wanted to do all the work:D
I also have ''land animals'':D

Ah, land animals... I would have a dog if my son wasn't terrified of them (and I had the time and money) or a cat (same applies)... So far I'm happy raising my 3yr old and 1yr old kids. That's enough work for me! Ha ha! What do you have?

Ah, land animals... I would have a dog if my son wasn't terrified of them (and I had the time and money) or a cat (same applies)... So far I'm happy raising my 3yr old and 1yr old kids. That's enough work for me! Ha ha! What do you have?
I had a lot of animals previously, now I cut down a bit. I have 2 rabbits, a german shepherd and husky/gsd mix and 2 cats:L
Really fun animals if you ask me:) Dogs make great pets. Rabbits are fragile and scared, and cats are well...cats xD
If you get you're son to conquer his fear, you'll be able to get a cute little dog that will be you're best friend:D

Haha my husband has heard me whine about "horse field" this and "quarter horse" that for ten years, so I think he goes along with the new fish obsession because I found an interim pet ;)

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats besides. No little ones thus the push for pets while I still can! My mother was right to sell our horse by the time I went to high school for the benefit of my grades, still sucked though.

Me too! There is a donkey in my neighborhood I love hearing him "honk" he is hilarious
Haha. Usually, when i go to the country, I go on donkeys my uncle owns there, and its a male so when he sees females, he goes crazy and starts screaming. Also, he has a male and every male there scream at her(mating scream).
Its really funny;D
But mules are really fast and endurant compared to horse:D But horse are a little faster;D

If I had a farm to work I would barter for a mule ;) My childish wants are mostly to comb and braid my horses tail, so I'm holding out for a free Freisian or Percheron to appear on Craigslist ;)

If I had a farm to work I would barter for a mule ;) My childish wants are mostly to comb and braid my horses tail, so I'm holding out for a free Freisian or Percheron to appear on Craigslist ;)
If only that could ever happen:(

Back
Top Bottom