Bizzare behaviour in the dark!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy289

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I hope someone can help me. I was given a little goldfish in a 2 gallon aquarium just over five years ago. It has a little underground filter & an air pump & airstone. This little guy has always been in this 2 gallon and, besides staying small, has been active & healthy the entire time.

However, I came home several weeks ago to find him floating at the top. I soon realized though that he hadn't passed away, but he wasn't doing very well & I did not expect him to recover. But...he did. And he went back to his happy energetic self. But now (a few weeks later) he's gone back to that stage & I thought again that I would lose him. If the light is off, he floats at the top bent over and very much looks like he's dead. But if I turn the light on, he slowly starts swimming around and after a few hours looks just fine.

I find it rather bizarre and was wondering what the best thing is to do for him. Should I be keeping the light on constantly?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

You can't be serious?!?!
You never know with krap101.

What are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, pH)? How often do you PWC? Does the temperature flucuate in the bowl between when the light is on and when it is off?

Worst case: for a goldfish in a 2 gallon bowl, it may be nearing the end of its life.

Is there any way to give your fined friend a 10 gallon tank with heater and a better filter?

I wonder if he is constipated. Goldfish sometimes suffer from swim bladder disease. Unlike most fish, their swim bladder is connected is such a way that packed food can block the opening and not allow the fish to regulate the bladder, and thus control its swimming.

Is this a fancy golfish or a common variety? Both can pose different types of symptoms. Here are some that I have experienced that tend to have the same results:

1) Swim bladder disease. Most common in fancies, but tend to affect most all goldfish

2) Constipation. Try the pea suggestion to cure this. Usually only takes a few feedings.

3) End stage of life. I agree with Menagerie on this one. ANY goldfish in a 2 gallon will hold a very short life. I'm surprised you've had him 5+ years now. 5 years seems to be a nice long lifespan for a 2 gal goldie.

4) Sleeping. Seriously! It's kind of coupled with swim bladder disease though. I've seen it in a fish I had years ago. He ended up with a form of swim bladder disease and he only seemed to have it while sleeping. I'm not sure how or why, but it seemed to me that he could correct his swim bladder while awake, but had no control while sleeping.

He's a common goldfish. How do I feed him peas? :? Should they be cooked? Raw? Canned?? 8O

He's still acting the same, only when the light is off. So I've almost accepted that he might be sleeping, but sleeping w/swim bladder might be the case?

He is a little trooper though. I'd like to try feeding him peas. Can anyone give me more info?

The water chemistry is fine, I checked everything again last week.

Thanks for your help folks!

4) Sleeping. Seriously! It's kind of coupled with swim bladder disease though. I've seen it in a fish I had years ago. He ended up with a form of swim bladder disease and he only seemed to have it while sleeping. I'm not sure how or why, but it seemed to me that he could correct his swim bladder while awake, but had no control while sleeping.

lol just like old people and bladders :D

I use frozen peas...put them in the micro for about 1min 30sec...Cool them off (for some reason fish don't like hot food) and pinch them out of their shells. If the fish is constipated this should clear it up. You should see green poops.

fish do sleep, my g/f's platies lay on their sides at the bottom of the tank and my zebras sit in the top corner of the tank all night and dont move, so it could be sleeping :D

Back
Top Bottom