Black Algae - sick of it - Redo entire tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a long established (8-9 years) 55 gal tank, live plants, eco complete for the base. Variety of fresh water fish, not overstocked. All water readings within normal ranges, lighting on for 4 hours a day, no direct sunlight. Fish fed every few days. No CO2.

I have been fighting black hair algae for a couple of years and just can't get rid of it. I am at the point to put the fish in a holding tank and get rid of all the plants, boil the few rocks and decorations, toss the eco and rebuild with new eco-complete, all new plants and the tank thoroughly scrubbed.

I use a canister filter and that media is established.

Am I approaching this properly? I am simply sick of the tank looking dirty because of the algae and I have tried all sort of ways to get rid of it and it keeps coming back.

Comments? Suggestions?

https://2047.org/fishvidfeed2019.html

I am curious what others input here.

I have a 10gal tank that seems to have the same issue. It’s not nearly as established as yours and I definitely am a newbie. But even if I stay super on top of water changes, this stuff slowly creeps back up every few months.

Hello jim...

The authorities on algae growth say phosphates and nitrates from unused fish and plant foods are to blame. I think that's part of it. But, I have no visible algae in my fish tanks and I believe it's because I change 50 to 75 percent of the tank water every week. If you remove the food source from the water, there's nothing to sustain the algae, so it doesn't grow. I also started introducing a house plant called "Aglaonema" in some of my tanks and the roots remove all forms of nitrogen from the water. There's no visible algae in those tanks. A little is good for the tank, because it acts as a water filter. But, if you tend to feed your fish and plants a little too much and they don't use it, then you've made a perfect environment for any type of algae.

B

May look into excel dosing for algae and/or adding a few nitrate eater plants for lower light like anacharis or Amazon swords.

If you don't already have plants, I've also shut the lights off for a week and cut feeding down to get rid of algae. It won't hurt the fish to be without light for a while.

Back
Top Bottom