Black Algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlynnb2006

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a black, kind of fuzzy substance on a plant and decoration in my tank. I tried washing it off but couldn't get all of it off. It appears to be spreading. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it? If not is it harmful to my fish? Is there anything you can tell me about it? Serious answers only please.

It sounds like Black Beard Algae or BBA. What do you have in the tank for fish and what size tank? How old of a tank is it? Is it planted? CO2? What is your lighting? I have had success removing this algae from my tank by removing all decorations and soaking in a bleach solution and scrubbing scrubbing. I rinse rinse and rinse again and dechlorinate before putting everything back. I've heard increasing CO2 helps but haven't tried that.

Depending on how long the tank has been set up and how big it is you may not want to do that in fear of a mini cycle from destroying beneficial bacteria. There are other members that have had experience in getting rid of BBA and will chime in with their suggestions. For me that is the only thing that has worked. Unfortunately it has taken more than one time to get all the BBA gone.

We've had the same problem in our 56 gallon planted tank. About 2 weeks ago we noticed smaller brownish/black spots and it has spread into a black film covering the plants and driftwood. We don't use CO2 but have thought about it. We have heard it is harmful too fish if not properly regulated.

I will have to look into Black Beard Algae and see if this is what I have going on in my tank.

I have a 10 gallon tank, platys, zebra danios, and an algae eater. I got the tank in January and everything has been going pretty well. It is only artificial plants. THe tank is far away from the only windo in the room and the window is usually covered. I just use the light that came with the aquarium. I will try scrubbing it.

Back
Top Bottom