Black Aquarium Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there any less costly substitute for black aquarium sand? I don't think I want another tank with pool filter sand, so if I just have to suck it up and buy the more expensive aquarium sand that's what I'll do.

Some people recommend black blasting sand and apparently have had good results. I read quite a few posts on fish forums that said it is is too abrasive for bottom dwellers. I wanted corys on black sand, so I decided not to risk it and bought Petco's black sand instead. Others seemed to have no problems with the blasting sand, so maybe it's ok.

I was reading about black blasting sand and I came across a few people that said it wasn't a good idea... although those same people said pool filter sand was a bad idea too. Do you like the petco sand though?

Many of us on this forum use the black diamond blasting sand from tractor supply co with great results including myself

i set up a 20 gal for my niece with black diamond blasting sand grit is 20/40 worked out great fish loved it and no issues if your going to have bottom dwellers just try to find a finer grit like 30/60 or better

good luck on your search try farm and fleet or industrial supply store(y)

The only black blasting sand I could find around here had a pretty aggressive grit - it felt sharp on my fingers so I didn't want to try it with my corys.

I didn't like the petco sand at first because it took a long time for it to settle down. It seems much smaller and finer than the pool filter sand I'm used to, and I had quite a bit floating on the surface of the tank for the first week or so. I guess I prefer a slightly heavier/courser sand, but it's worked out ok. I love how it makes the colors of fish and plants pop, but it also shows fish waste.

I ordered mine off PETCO.com it was 20 pounds for $13. It shouldn't cost to much to pay for it because I'm assuming you don't have a 220 gallon tank.

Yeah, it's for a 55. I can get a 50 lb bag of blasting sand for 8 dollars, or 60 lbs of sand from petco for 40 dollars. So, unless the petco sand is significantly better, I'm going with the blasting sand.

Mrc8858 said:
Many of us on this forum use the black diamond blasting sand from tractor supply co with great results including myself
+1 Great stuff and way cheap (less than $10 for 50 pounds).
No issues for bottom dwellers.

I have the black moon sand and love it but that eas before i knew about blasting sand....going to try white moon sand on a shrimp tank see how that looks

I have heard many ppl say it is ol to use... I have 2 firemouth and 2 black convicts that are always getting mouthfulls of pool filter sand that i use and moving it around in the caves smd spittin it out.. So i know pfs is safe i have heard the black sand from tractor supply works just as well

I have blasting sand in my ISO/QT tank and my 28 gallon everyone seems fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom