Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Black background question????

I have a 120 gallon acrylic tank that has a permanent blue background. Is there an aquarium safe silicon black paint that I could paint the inside background of my tank??? If so, where do I get it???

Old 08-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Krylon Fusion for plastic. Paint it, give it a week to cure. It's the only one I've seen that's considered aquarium safe, but there may be others.

Conversely, look into the 3D backgrounds available. I have one that looks like a rock wall and looks nice with the tan play sand I'm using as substrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190827-190857_Chrome.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	313785  

Old 08-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does this stuff work on acrylic tho???
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylNeko View Post
Krylon Fusion for plastic. Paint it, give it a week to cure. It's the only one I've seen that's considered aquarium safe, but there may be others.

Conversely, look into the 3D backgrounds available. I have one that looks like a rock wall and looks nice with the tan play sand I'm using as substrate.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Acrylic is a form of plastic so I would expect so. Folks use it on their filter hoses no problem.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tape off everything but the back and spray it with oven cleaner. Let it sit for a day. The old paint may come off. If that doesn't work then use a medium grit sandpaper to remove the large stuff then fine grit sandpaper to remove the rest of the paint. I'd you are good with an orbital sander you could use it or do it by hand.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Angry I hate painting!

I'm a low cost / low budget person and avoid work as much as possible.
I've used a heavy, flat black, construction paper on 2 of my tanks that can be purchased at the local dollar store.
It comes in sheets that are roughly 20"x24" and if your tank requires using 2 or more pieces it's easy to do.
I don't think you could tell the difference between it and a painted back wall. Cheap, looks great, easy to tape on and easily removed.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've done that b4 also. I'm looking for something to paint the interior of the tank that is aquarium safe tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaPenny View Post
I'm a low cost / low budget person and avoid work as much as possible.
I've used a heavy, flat black, construction paper on 2 of my tanks that can be purchased at the local dollar store.
It comes in sheets that are roughly 20"x24" and if your tank requires using 2 or more pieces it's easy to do.
I don't think you could tell the difference between it and a painted back wall. Cheap, looks great, easy to tape on and easily removed.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

DOH!

Feelin' foolish... I somehow overlooked the fact you're dealing with the "inside" of the tank.
I've been frantically looking for a way to delete my post but it looks like I'm busted already
Sorry about that, BP
Old 09-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Has anyone ever used a black PVC sheet for a background??? Is it aquarium safe??? I'll be using it inside the aquarium if its safe!
Old 09-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I painted some pvc fittings in my tank black, I can't for the life of me remember for sure what kind of paint it was but I'm pretty sure it was plastidip. It's what I painted the back with (on the outside though) and I don't remember using multiple types of paint when I set up the tank.

Tacit Blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
background, black, black background, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com