Black Bolivian ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martymc83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

In the last few days one of my Bolivian rams has really darkened in colour, she seems to be eating fine but now she is hanging around at the back of the tank where normally is out the front. Another female laid eggs last week and all four rams really coloured up but they went back to normal after the eggs were gone.

Was just wondering if this is normal and she is ok? (think it's a she)

Tank is a 165 litre, water 0 am 0 nitrite 20 nitrate tested today. Tankmates are 7 lemon tetra, 10 white cloud, 4 Bolivian rams, 1 bristlenose, 2 angelicus loach, 1 black molly added a couple of days ago

Pics attached, thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSC_0462.jpg
    DSC_0462.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0459.jpg
    DSC_0459.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_0460.jpg
    DSC_0460.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0465.jpg
    DSC_0465.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 125
Doesn't look much different than my rams, however the the darker stripes could be a sign of stress of some form, notice I say "could be".

Ram in question being targeted by others? Spending more time hiding or in upper corner than usual?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply's

Gilpi- have your rams always been dark? It's just mine was the same colour as the others in the pictures until a few days ago, the change was what made me think something could be wrong. Good to know it could be its normal colouring tho

Brookster123- I have not noticed it being targeted more than usual. The pair of rams rule the tank when laying eggs and can be a bit nippy with her but then chill out when they are done. This ram was the smallest of my four and has always been the loner but always came to front of the tank at feeding time but now seems to hang back. She still gets some food but normally all four rams are at the front of the tank begging

I will keep an eye on them tonight after work to see if she is getting targeted by anyone, I've had the rams since they were ~2cm and was hoping if they grew up together the four of them would be ok in the same tank.

Any idea how old they are by the pictures? Just interested..

Thanks

Ram in question being targeted by others? Spending more time hiding or in upper corner than usual?

Spent a bit of time watching the tank last night, she is hiding in the plants a lot and just doesn't look happy... feel bad as there isn't anywhere to move her too.

There seems to be a bit of aggression in there at the moment so that may explain the colour change. She is getting chased around as the mating pair are showing their colours again and it looks like the female is getting ready to lay more eggs! They take over one side of the tank while doing this. It was only last week she laid a batch, is that possible?

Also the black molly is acting a bit strange, he sneaks up behind / stalks the other fish very slowly then if gets close enough will have a big swipe at them, hes bigger than the rams and they keep their distance from him and don't look comfortable when hes around! He never done that in his old tank but he was in there with a gourami and bristlenose which were both bigger than him.. I'm going to leave him in the tank for a few more days but if he doesn't calm down he's going back into his old tank.

Sorry for the long reply, any suggestions

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom