Black Diamond Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
silica is what cause lung problems and algae blooms from what i understand. a lot of people say play sand causes algae blooms because it has silica in it but i never had any problems with it.

I just switched the the black diamond yesterday btw i actualy thought this was my thread on it im still half asleep lol. I t worked out great for me all my fish are still alive this morning my water cleared in a bout 3 hours and it looks great and it feels very soft i thought it felt just as soft as play sand i rensed mine like crazy before i put in in with a pillow case and warm water my mom also switched to it yesterday and she has had no problems

free silica is the base substance in sand, which will form glass when struck by lightning. It is also a substance that is taken up by single-celled algae called diatoms that are found in both fresh and saltwater. Having high levels of free silica in the tank can often lead to a bloom of diatoms which shows up as a brownish coating on every surface in the tank including the glass.

Free silica is of concern if the product is used for sand blasting. For that reason the slags that make up black blasting sand are considered less of a health hazard than the normal silica blasting sands.

Back
Top Bottom