Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2004, 04:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
black fin shark missing part of fin... in puffers stomach

hey everyone. so at some point last night my green spotted puffer took off the top 1/4 of my black fin sharks dorsal fin... clean cut! she seems perfect fine, is still using the fin, swimming around, etc. i was just wondering if i should put malafix or something else in the tank to ensure that she doesn't get an infection?

im guessing it's just a matter of opinion but i figured id ask you experts since ive been helped so many times before! thanks in advance

-brent

ps- I am just assuming that the GSP did it because it was overnight, and it is a perfectly clean cut. not frayed at all or anything. but it's strange because the black fin is MUCH faster than the GSP, and if he was going to nip her I would have expected it to be the tail fin, or maybe the sides. and in the 2 weeks they have been together he has never even nipped at her.

Old 05-01-2004, 02:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

funny... my noodle, a columbian shark, had a fin recently slightly severed by my gsp, tequila...
they love each other still, and her fin looks good, and its healing well.

Old 05-01-2004, 08:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, definately add some melafix. You were asking for trouble mixing those two.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
Not to be an ******* but I actually did a lot of research before purchasing each of them. And the puffer came along over a year after the columbian. All of my research showed that they were compatible with each other, according to the charts at my LFS (they have charts showing what temperment, temperature, food, etc they need) they are compatible, and there were quite a few people that had them together in tanks.

But thanks for your opinion
Old 05-01-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pufferpunk
Some puffers (no matter how much you may research them) just aren't compatible with any fish. Their personalities differ from puffer to puffer. sometimes I'll have a tank mate that will last over a year with mine & then one day... poof! It's gone.

Pufferpunk's Tanks
http://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRe...ew&userID=1918
Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipz
Not to be an *beep* but I actually did a lot of research before purchasing each of them. And the puffer came along over a year after the columbian. All of my research showed that they were compatible with each other, according to the charts at my LFS (they have charts showing what temperment, temperature, food, etc they need) they are compatible, and there were quite a few people that had them together in tanks.

But thanks for your opinion

You can do all the research you want, I've seen it time and time again. Some GSPs(and puffers in general) are just not compatible with any fish. This is the reason tankmates are not recommended for puffers. They are extremely territorial, unpredictable and can easily overpower a fish 5 times it's size. Just ask my 10" silver scat what my 3.5" GSP did to it.

Tags
fin, missing, puffer, puffers, shark, stomach

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com