black fin shark missing part of fin... in puffers stomach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey everyone. so at some point last night my green spotted puffer took off the top 1/4 of my black fin sharks dorsal fin... clean cut! she seems perfect fine, is still using the fin, swimming around, etc. i was just wondering if i should put malafix or something else in the tank to ensure that she doesn't get an infection?

im guessing it's just a matter of opinion but i figured id ask you experts since ive been helped so many times before! thanks in advance

-brent

ps- I am just assuming that the GSP did it because it was overnight, and it is a perfectly clean cut. not frayed at all or anything. but it's strange because the black fin is MUCH faster than the GSP, and if he was going to nip her I would have expected it to be the tail fin, or maybe the sides. and in the 2 weeks they have been together he has never even nipped at her.

funny... my noodle, a columbian shark, had a fin recently slightly severed by my gsp, tequila... ;)
they love each other still, and her fin looks good, and its healing well.

Yeah, definately add some melafix. You were asking for trouble mixing those two. :?

Not to be an ******* but I actually did a lot of research before purchasing each of them. And the puffer came along over a year after the columbian. All of my research showed that they were compatible with each other, according to the charts at my LFS (they have charts showing what temperment, temperature, food, etc they need) they are compatible, and there were quite a few people that had them together in tanks.

But thanks for your opinion

Some puffers (no matter how much you may research them) just aren't compatible with any fish. Their personalities differ from puffer to puffer. sometimes I'll have a tank mate that will last over a year with mine & then one day... poof! It's gone.

flipz said:
Not to be an *beep* but I actually did a lot of research before purchasing each of them. And the puffer came along over a year after the columbian. All of my research showed that they were compatible with each other, according to the charts at my LFS (they have charts showing what temperment, temperature, food, etc they need) they are compatible, and there were quite a few people that had them together in tanks.

But thanks for your opinion

You can do all the research you want, I've seen it time and time again. Some GSPs(and puffers in general) are just not compatible with any fish. This is the reason tankmates are not recommended for puffers. They are extremely territorial, unpredictable and can easily overpower a fish 5 times it's size. Just ask my 10" silver scat what my 3.5" GSP did to it.

Back
Top Bottom