Black Ghost Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I currently have a 4' Black Ghost Knife fish in a 120L community tank. Two inherent problems have become apparent to me (Thanks for the warning fish salesperson :banghead:):

1. My tank is too small
2. I believe my Ghost Knife is snacking on my Corydoras eyes leaving them dead and blind :nono:

Now my intention is to move the Ghost Knife into a 175L tank with bigger fish, I know this tank size is still insufficient but it should be enough to get me by while I consider my options.

The fish in the 175L tank will be the following:

1 Angelfish
1 Leopard Sailfin Pleco (Yes, going to be a problem as well re: size)
1 Rainbow Shark
6 Silver Dollar
2 Chinese Algae Eater (May have aggression problems late)

Anyone have any opinions, advice or warnings on whether I should move my Ghost Knife to this setup or reconsider?

Cheers in advance (y)

What is in the tank with the Black knife now can you rotate fish around to put the non aggressive fish together

What is in the tank with the Black knife now can you rotate fish around to put the non aggressive fish together

Currently Ghost Knife is housed with Corydoras (Bronze, Julii & Peppered), Kuhli Loaches, Guppies, Platies, Molly, Harlequin Rasbora, Neon Tetra, Bala Shark, Bristlenosed Pleco, & Dwarf Gourami.

Is it 4 feet or 4 inches? I thought they only get to be at Max 20" I had one that was eating my peacock eel. I feed mine like 3 times a day between frozen brine shrimp and red worms and the nipping has stopped.

Is it 4 feet or 4 inches? I thought they only get to be at Max 20" I had one that was eating my peacock eel. I feed mine like 3 times a day between frozen brine shrimp and red worms and the nipping has stopped.

Ah good pickup! Only 4 inches :whistle:

I must admit I've started feeding 3 times per day and I haven't seen any eyeless corpses recently...

If this is the case it just makes my decision more confusing...do I keep him with all his smaller fish mates he's grown up with or put him with the semi aggressive fish?

well which tank is bigger? What are the fish that you have in your aggressive tank, how big and how many? What do you keep your temps at? mine is about 80 degrees. I have mine in a 55 gallon and I purchased mine when he was about 3" prob 4 months ago and now id say he's about 7" now. Now if your bgk is going to be in with like cichlids that are about the same size then it will be fine cause if they try to do something to him he will shock them. the only issue now is that when it gets bigger it will eat anything that will fit in its mouth so you will have to either way I am thinking get a bigger tank for it than that. This is of course My opinion from having one

Cynic said:
Hi all,

I currently have a 4' Black Ghost Knife fish in a 120L community tank. Two inherent problems have become apparent to me (Thanks for the warning fish salesperson :banghead:):

1. My tank is too small
2. I believe my Ghost Knife is snacking on my Corydoras eyes leaving them dead and blind :nono:

Now my intention is to move the Ghost Knife into a 175L tank with bigger fish, I know this tank size is still insufficient but it should be enough to get me by while I consider my options.

1 Angelfish
1 Rainbow Shark
6 Silver Dollar

Anyone have any opinions, advice or warnings on whether I should move my Ghost Knife to this setup or reconsider?

Cheers in advance (y)

I suggest just getting a huge tank or removing most of your stock from the 175L. The silver dollars have to go, the rainbow shark, the pleco, and the chinese algea eaters. The tank is already overstocked as it is and adding a BGK to the mix would not help things at all.

well which tank is bigger? What are the fish that you have in your aggressive tank, how big and how many? What do you keep your temps at? mine is about 80 degrees. I have mine in a 55 gallon and I purchased mine when he was about 3" prob 4 months ago and now id say he's about 7" now. Now if your bgk is going to be in with like cichlids that are about the same size then it will be fine cause if they try to do something to him he will shock them. the only issue now is that when it gets bigger it will eat anything that will fit in its mouth so you will have to either way I am thinking get a bigger tank for it than that. This is of course My opinion from having one

Both tanks are 4' / 175L. I think you're right in that I'll have to move the BGK to the tank with the larger fish, even if my BGK isn't a threat to my smaller fish now as you say he will grow and become a problem for the corydoras/tetras etc. Thanks (y).

I suggest just getting a huge tank or removing most of your stock from the 175L. The silver dollars have to go, the rainbow shark, the pleco, and the chinese algea eaters. The tank is already overstocked as it is and adding a BGK to the mix would not help things at all.

Sometimes I wonder why I ask for advice when I'm pretty sure I won't like the answer :(.

So a 4' 175L tank with...

1 Angelfish
1 Leopard Sailfin Pleco (4")
1 Black Ghost knife (4")
1 Rainbow Shark (5")
6 Silver Dollar (Vary from 4" to 2")
2 Chinese Algae Eater (3")

...is:

a) Overstocked now?
b) Will be overstocked in the future?

Also what size tank would be required to house the above fish when they are full grown?

Well i think it is over stocked now and will DEFINITLY be overstocked in the future.

FULL SIZE OF THOSE FISH

silver dollar= 6"
Angel fish= 6"
Sailfin pleco= about 17"
Black ghost knife= 20"
Chinese algea eater= 11"
Rainbow shark= 6"

Thats alot......

Hi all,

1. My tank is too small
Sorry to hear about that :( Are these a 120/175 Gallon Long, or 175 Liter tanks? There's a big difference.

1 Angelfish
1 Rainbow Shark
6 Silver Dollar
Again, Long or Liters?
If it is 175 Gallon Litres that is 46 gallons. Let's break down your stock:
Angel-should be fine in there long term. It is big enough.
Rainbow shark-although I don't consider it adequate, he should be fine in there for a little while.
Sailfin Pleco-I would only recommend a 55 Gallon Minimum with super proper filtration. They grow sixteen inches, so it's going to be a challenge to keep up on your water changes with the big bioload he produces, even more in a small tank.
Silver dollar-they will eventually need to be rehomed to a more suitable tank. I would say 120 G minimum for a proper school in a minimum group of six for them.
BGK-maxes out 20 inches, I recommend a 120 G minimum for them also. You could always upgrade.
Cheers in advance (y)
Comments in the bold red. Hope that helped! :)

Comments in the bold red. Hope that helped! :)

Thanks for the reply (y)

The two tanks are 175 Litres as opposed to gallons unfortunately...

So are you saying that a 120G tank would, in your opinion, be sufficient to house those fish?

Well i think it is over stocked now and will DEFINITLY be overstocked in the future.

FULL SIZE OF THOSE FISH

silver dollar= 6"
Angel fish= 6"
Sailfin pleco= about 17"
Black ghost knife= 20"
Chinese algea eater= 11"
Rainbow shark= 6"

Thats alot......

*Sigh* Would've been nice to either receive a warning from the salesperson about these to begin with...although I guess ignorance is not an excuse :facepalm:.

Do you agree with bruinsbro1997's opinion that a 120G tank would be sufficient for these fish?

Look on craigslist! Tere are great deals, no doubt. Yes 120 will house those fish an probably more if you picked the right fish. Good luck and sorry abt the bad news :/

Look on craigslist! Tere are great deals, no doubt. Yes 120 will house those fish an probably more if you picked the right fish. Good luck and sorry abt the bad news :/

Nothing I didn't expect sadly :ermm:

Thanks again though (y)

I think you can hold on to the fish for a little while but when they start to grow a bigger tank is needed :/

Back
Top Bottom