Black Ghost Knife - do they NEED sinking food ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering about black ghost knife...

do they require sinking food ??

or can they come to the surface to eat floating food (I have NEVER seen a BGK eat from the surface) ??

also, do they require a special type of food ?
do they eat tropical sinking pellets?
I have bloodworms, but they do NOT sink, they float (will this be a problem).

i've only ever seen them eat frozen bloodworms when you take a turkey baster and squirt them in front of its face.

all mine eats is frozen bloodworms. i take a chunk of it still frozen and put it down into the water and hold it while he eats. he is s little spoiled but ya... mine will eat floating anything all u have to do is catch his attention to it. they really only like meaty food. mine doesnt mind freezedried bloods worms every now and again but the mass of his diet is blood worms. also they do sink. mine does not like pellets or flakes much.

Wow this AMAZES me.. I have a pet black knife fish.. he gets happy when I come in the room.. he'll eat right from the surface when I feed him anything. he doesn't care so long as food is coming from my hands to his mouth. I also have a grey/weird knife fish... it is mean and doesn't even come out to eat.. but the other is great and very docile and always eats from the surface.. He will eat from the bottom if I put in thawed frozen bloodworms mixed with one ounce of fishwater.. they float to the bottom and he goes crazy digging for them.

if i put my fingers in the tank ine comes up and bites at them it is a weird feeling. he will also swim throunh my fingers and will let me pet him if i want lol i dont though. they are by far one of the most interesting fish

Back
Top Bottom