Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

Black Ghost knife fish ?

Ive always wanted one of these EEL like fish in my tanks, but due to the possible 1 foot long sizes I never got one.. But now that I have a 92g corner tank I can get pretty much whatever fish in there..

However I was wondering do Black Ghost knife fish get along with Discus ? I have 8 Discus in this tank. And what about the ghost knife with Neons or Electric blue rams ? I have like 25 neons and 6 cardinal Tetra's in the tank.. I have 4 Glow lights as well. The majority of them are fully grown.. about 1 1/2 inches..

Or what about a bichir fish ? Or maybe a Peacock eel ? Petsmart has all of these and I think they would be pretty cool to have.. Just not sure about them with the fish I have..

If not these fish what fish do you guys think I could get to make the tank more "cool" my discus are cool yea, and so is a big school of neons but it still feals empty to me

Old 04-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't get a black ghost knife with neons. They will be come expensive food. I do have an African brown knife with Cardinal Tetras and he doesn't bother them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

African brown knife would be a better choice.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

African brown knife fish does take some work. Very passive about eating. Only can get him to eat if I hand fish. You think he wouldn't be so passive since he is the biggest fish in the tank

Old 04-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You have 8 discus, 31 tetras, 3 or 4 rams, and you just added 4 siamese algae eaters which grow to be huge. Your tank is fully stocked as it is if not a fair amount overstocked. Id highly recommend against adding anything else
Old 04-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Rehome the SAE's and tetras and add an african brown knife and a rope fish.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Me personally I would be skittish of adding a species of knife to a discus tank in the first place. Don't want to stress the discus.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 04-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can't imagine my brown knife fish stressing anything. Maybe tiny Nano fish. The kuhlis hang in his hiding spot

Old 04-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hate to say it but the high energy level of the siamese algae eaters are going to add stress on the discus. And IMHO knife and rope fish have no business in a discus tank.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just let your tank grow out. Aren't your discus only like 2"? They're going to get bigger. A 92 corner is bigger than what you had but not massive by any means and with the weird shape you lose a lot of actual space. You should keep your tank just how it is and focus on letting your discus enjoy the space they have rather than adding more fish and making it cramped again.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK8485 View Post
Just let your tank grow out. Aren't your discus only like 2"? They're going to get bigger. A 92 corner is bigger than what you had but not massive by any means and with the weird shape you lose a lot of actual space. You should keep your tank just how it is and focus on letting your discus enjoy the space they have rather than adding more fish and making it cramped again.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Actually the 92g corner is much bigger then any regular 90g rectangle, with the same depth of substrate in both tanks. The gallon capacity is only 81 gallons in a standard 90g tank, mine is 89.. Surface area for mine is 900 square inches.. Its 48 inches long just like a 55-75-90g, but 34 inches deep side to side and about 36-37 inches deep from middle to back.. I have as much surface area as 150 high tank almost. But I suppose youre right I just like exotic fish lol.. Is it wrong to say I love my new tank but I want a bigger one now lol

I guess Ill let them grow out, only 2 of them are 2 inches, the rest are 3 1/2 and one is 4. I measured them all when I moved em
Old 04-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Your tank actually only has approx 60 more sq inches of floor space compared to a 75g (keeping in mind a 75, 90, and 110h all have the same footprint) it comes down to like a 7% larger footprint.

Tags
black, black ghost knife, black ghost knife fish, fish, ghost

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com