Black ghost knife fish emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
There is something sticking out of my BGKF that looks like it should be inside the fish. It's pink and half an inch long. I'm thinking that it might have scraped it's body on the rock and cut himself causing the pink worm-like(intestine?) to come out. I am really concerned.

Take it to a vet, it might be intestine. Try to get a picture & post it here. Dont medicate yet.

Emi929 said:
Take it to a vet, it might be intestine. Try to get a picture & post it here. Dont medicate yet.

For some reason It only showed the first part on my iphone and I thought you were being a jerk(take it to the vet). I am sorry.

I don't have anything for it yet. I don't even know what's wrong with the fish.

Okay, that's OK but not ideal. How big is your tank and how big is your BGKF? do a 20% water change and try to keep nitrite down for the time being.

Emi929 said:
Okay, that's OK but not ideal. How big is your tank and how big is your BGKF? do a 20% water change and try to keep nitrite down for the time being.

I have 125g and I just got my BGKF the other day. I just did a 50% pwc and will do a 20-30%pwc until it's cycled.

Okay good, keep doing that. Any tankmates??

Also, where on it's body is the thing coming out at?

Emi929 said:
Okay good, keep doing that. Any tankmates??

Also, where on it's body is the thing coming out at?

5 tetras that I used for cycling and 2 albino bristlenose plecos..

It's coming out of the bottom between the head and fins. I tried to take pics but it was hard. It swims fast and the fish will hide.

Emi929 said:
Is the thing coming out of the bottom of it's gills? Has it been acting different?

It may be coming out of it's gills.

Like what I said, I just got it a couple days ago. So I don't really know how BGKF are. How they behave and such.. It swims ok and it acts the same as the first day I got it.

Hmmm from the location you describe, I don't think it's a cut. It is probably a parasite or type of worm. What color is it?

Emi929 said:
Hmmm from the location you describe, I don't think it's a cut. It is probably a parasite or type of worm. What color is it?

It's pink. I just checked and it has gotten smaller and look shredded.

Omg I just did some research and it might actually be poop!! That's where BGKF anus is (under head) it's probably poop

Yes more than likely it will be ex crement from the BGK, but keep an eye on him just watch him is he hiding or acting like hes in pain IE is he breathing rapidly?

Emi929 said:
Omg I just did some research and it might actually be poop!! That's where BGKF anus is (under head) it's probably poop

That's good news! That is a weird spot for poop to come out. I got scared. Hehe. I thought it was his intestine. Thanks.

Jason7894561230 said:
Yes more than likely it will be ex crement from the BGK, but keep an eye on him just watch him is he hiding or acting like hes in pain IE is he breathing rapidly?

Its gone now. It's probably just waste. He's acting normal. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom