Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
black ghost knives and shrimp

thought that getting a bgk would be the cherry on top for my tank, however arriving at petsmart i was told a black ghost knife would kill off my ghost shrimp (which i acually depend on for keeping the tank bottom clean, feeding the fish less isnt an option, because my baby dragon goby only eats when he feels like it, so i live food at the tank bottom for him, and ghost shrimp clean up the excess, and i know he'll need a brackish water aquarium as he ages, dont worry)

the bgk i was interested in was only 4" and i didnt believe he could kill the shrimp yet, but i was told he would pick off their legs and eat them. would a large 4" marbled shrimp be an option or could the bgk eat him too?

i know snail are an option, but i dont want to go there...

any comments, will the bgk really do this, massacre the shrimp, or even larger marbled shrimp?

Old 06-24-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
I doubt it would bother the large shrimp, but the smaller ones I can see it killing off in time

Old 06-24-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
I doubt it would bother the large shrimp, but the smaller ones I can see it killing off in time
Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your black ghost knife will likely eat the ghost shrimp as soon it gets large enough, which will be faster than you might expect. Marbled shrimp would very likely be safe for quite a while, though, so you could give those a shot. What I've done with my BGK is keep a few mystery snails to get the excess food (BGK's can also be bad about not eating everything). Since the snails lay their eggs above water, you can just pick them off and not have to deal with them reproducing like crazy.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
when you say they lay effs out of the water, do you mean on the glass thats not in the water, or they will sometimes lay themselves on the inside of the hood, were they might be hidden

Tags
ghost, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com