black ghost knives and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
thought that getting a bgk would be the cherry on top for my tank, however arriving at petsmart i was told a black ghost knife would kill off my ghost shrimp (which i acually depend on for keeping the tank bottom clean, feeding the fish less isnt an option, because my baby dragon goby only eats when he feels like it, so i live food at the tank bottom for him, and ghost shrimp clean up the excess, and i know he'll need a brackish water aquarium as he ages, dont worry)

the bgk i was interested in was only 4" and i didnt believe he could kill the shrimp yet, but i was told he would pick off their legs and eat them. would a large 4" marbled shrimp be an option or could the bgk eat him too?

i know snail are an option, but i dont want to go there...

any comments, will the bgk really do this, massacre the shrimp, or even larger marbled shrimp?

Your black ghost knife will likely eat the ghost shrimp as soon it gets large enough, which will be faster than you might expect. Marbled shrimp would very likely be safe for quite a while, though, so you could give those a shot. What I've done with my BGK is keep a few mystery snails to get the excess food (BGK's can also be bad about not eating everything). Since the snails lay their eggs above water, you can just pick them off and not have to deal with them reproducing like crazy.

Good luck!

when you say they lay effs out of the water, do you mean on the glass thats not in the water, or they will sometimes lay themselves on the inside of the hood, were they might be hidden

Back
Top Bottom