black khuli loach help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium 308

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got 3 loaches that I put in with 6 tiger barbs. Been a few days now. Ive had these loaches for about 6 months they were just in another tank. They seem to keep diving to the top of the tank not sure why. Barbs are not bothering them. If they settle down I planned on adding two more. Not sure what they are doing. No issues when they were on the other tank. Any suggestions on why this behavior.

So are they darting to the top and dashing down? Or are they glass surfing?

If it is the first, you may have a low oxygen level but that is doubtful considering the other fish are fine. They might just be a bit stressed and I would get them some more conspecifics regardless as this may help lower that stress level.

So are they darting to the top and dashing down? Or are they glass surfing?

If it is the first, you may have a low oxygen level but that is doubtful considering the other fish are fine. They might just be a bit stressed and I would get them some more conspecifics regardless as this may help lower that stress level.

Yes darting up then back down. Oxygen should be good. Got an air pump running 24/7 and the barbs are acting just fine. The first few hours the barbs kinda chased them but now they ignore them. My lfs gets shipments on Fridays so gonna check them for 2 more at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
There doesn't seem to be much you can do in this instance. They should settle down in a bit (assuming this is stress caused by a new tank)

You could try just keeping the lights off for a bit. Not uncommon for loaches to have funny behaviors

Caleb

I have 7 kuhlis in one of my tanks and there are 2 that always do the darting up and back down. Literally every single day....

40g community
36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
5.5g betta

You could try just keeping the lights off for a bit. Not uncommon for loaches to have funny behaviors

Caleb

Ya I got a satellite pro 24/7 light. Its on moonlight right now and I keep it pretty dim. One is doing it on one side of tank and the other two are doing same thing just opposite side

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya I got a satellite pro 24/7 light. Itsbon moonlight right now and I keep it pretty dim. One is doing it on one side of tank and the other two are doing same thing just opposite side

Yeah I wouldn't put it past them being loaches to be acting silly. If they do start acting sick then I'd keep a close eye.

Caleb

I have 7 kuhlis in one of my tanks and there are 2 that always do the darting up and back down. Literally every single day....

40g community
36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
5.5g betta

Ya my only concern was that the last six months they never done it in the other tank

Yeah mine are all over the place, i think it's just what they do, each one seems to act differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom