Black Kuhli Loach w/Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a 55g tank with black sand. I will be putting 5 angelfish, 4 rosy barbs, 3 gourami and a bn in the tank. I want to get 4 black kuhli loach and I'm wondering if they will be alright with those tank mates.

Well the Rosy Barbs and Khuli's like groups so at least 5 of each are recommended although 4 may be fine, I don't have experience with them. With all of those fish though I'd say you'd be quite overstocked. I'm not sure how they'd all get along.

Actually, your stocking could work if you have good filtration and do good maintenance. Loaches are mainly bottom dwellers, angels, barbs and gourami are all over, plecos tend to hide.

Eventually, due to size and aggression, you will need to re-home an angel or three. Ideally two in a 55 is the maximum you'd want. Since you stated you are putting up the tank, I'm going under the assumption that you don't have the fish yet and will be buying stock from your LFS. Most angels are about nickel to quarter sized in the stores. That is the only reason I'd ever say this would work for little bit.

Actually, your stocking could work if you have good filtration and do good maintenance. Loaches are mainly bottom dwellers, angels, barbs and gourami are all over, plecos tend to hide.

Eventually, due to size and aggression, you will need to re-home an angel or three. Ideally two in a 55 is the maximum you'd want. Since you stated you are putting up the tank, I'm going under the assumption that you don't have the fish yet and will be buying stock from your LFS. Most angels are about nickel to quarter sized in the stores. That is the only reason I'd ever say this would work for little bit.

Well here's whats up. I currently have those 5 angels in a 55g with the rosy barbs, 6 gouramis 2 turquise rainbows, 2 boesemani, 4 corys and a bn. Three of the angels are approx. 2+ inches and two are approx. 1.5 inches. Thus the need for a second 55g tank. They have all been together in this tank for 4+ months and they do chase each other some. No fins have been damaged and no injuries. The tank will be getting set up next week and I'm going to try all 5 in it and separate them if necessary.

Yes, IMO blakc kuhlis ouwld be fine in there. I keep them with angels and have never had an issue. The kuhlis stay on the bottom most of the time, so there isn't really any conflict. :)

Back
Top Bottom