Black Kuhli Loaches & Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would think so. Since media bags are so cheap, I wouldn't buy a nylon sock just for that purpose, but if you have one lying around, go ahead and use it.

Yeah, it didn't seem to take much to make it loud. I got rid of the sand in that tank after only about a month due to the noise. But, I figured it probably had something to do with having such a big filter on a little tank. At the time, the Penguin 350 was on only a 20 gallon, so even with the intake tube shortened as much as possible it was still pretty low.

After the sand thing that filter never seemed to get as quiet as it once was, but it still gave me another 5 or so years of service. In fact, it just stopped working about a month ago and that is when I decided I would invest in a new internal filter, and better canopy, and then I screwed up my cycle and replaced my gravel with sand. lol

But, I think I could still get some more use out of that Penguin. If I throw my impeller for my Top Fin filter in the Penguin the filter still works, it is just really loud. So I think if I get a new impeller it'll still work. So, overall, I think the Penguins are decent filters. But, I don't have much experience with other types.

I have the black moon sand in my 10G with the kuhlis (and a bunch of other critters)... no problems with the filter, but I'm not sure I'd use it again. It takes forever (if its even possible) to truly get it dust free, and when stirred up gets all over the decor. So my kuhlis better like that tank because its the only one they'll get!

Back
Top Bottom