Black Kuhlii Loach and Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK So I bought a bunch of shimp and I was given 3 Black Kuhlii Loachs as a freebee. Its a great extra gift... but they dont exactly go in the same tank. So I have to put them in my community tank which i salt. I have heard that some scalless fish do not like salt. Will they take the salt? Or should I dilute it down?

Also what do I need to do to make these guys happy?

They don't seem to mind Mild salt (1/3 or less recommended amount).

What you can do to make their life easier is to provide them with tight hiding spots (wood, rocks and other tight to the ground things).

They will dig themselves into those spots by removing substrate, that being said, the substrate should be sand or other easily moved substance. they will bury themselves in sand if you provide it for them (but I wouldn't expect you to change the substrate for 3 fish)

Also, don't expect to see them too often, kuhli's are excellent hiders..

you also should suppliment with Shrimp pellets.

Is the community tank the 15Gal planted? if so, you should NOT be adding salt with plants.

It is the 15gal planted, and the ammount of salt I add is has not been effected the plants to date... but it is a test to see what happens.

I will see what I can do about getting these guys somthing nice to hide around, but I do not really have room in the tank for a peice of driftwood. I guess I'll have to see what happens.

Update: I broke a small peice of the driftwood in my other tank and put it in the 15gal.. Hopfully they like it, there wasn't alot of room to put it in the back so I put it in the font, hopfully they will still use it.

Back
Top Bottom