black light ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
im gona set up an extra 10gal tank i have in my bedroom and i plan on puting a few glo-fish in it and maby a betta of some sort and prob a yellow apple snail. my ? is i think it would be cool looking if i had a black light to turn on sometimes iwould also have a regular light. is it harmfull to the fish to have a black light on them?

As far as I know the black light isn't harmful to the fish, I'll leave that to someone else. But, I've been considering doing the same thing basically. I think it'd really bring out some colors of the fish that would look really cool.

yea i found some black gravel with a lil bit of neon blue gravel mixed in with it i would like to find some black sand i just started a 75 and put sand in it and dont wana go back to gravel

It will be fine with the fish. I'd think about mixing some white gravel in with some black gravel instead of the blue. Should give more of a "pop" under the black light.

I'm pretty sure that black lights are out of the useable spectrum for both plants and algae. It should be fine as a moon light.

If you really want the fish to have that "glowing" look to them make sure to use a fluorescent black light as they produce ultraviolet light which creates the "glow" effect, and incandescent (the kind with a filament inside) bulbs do not.

The only problem I would think is that you couldnt leave it on for very long. They get hot very fast and get very hot.

In my experience black lights get way hotter than a regular bulb of the same size. I dont know if there are black lights made specifically for aquariums that dont get as hot though.

ok ill have to look into the heat situation. still trying to figur out how im gona have a reg light plus a black lite bc the only hood iv found for the tank is a double bulb hood that take 2- 15 to 25 wat bulbs dose anybody know if there is such a thing as a screw in floresnt bulb that would fit in a hood

ok so i got evry thing set up and running i used black sand and black background. i have 2 glow in the dark plants and 2 floresnt plants and 2 lil figurs it looks neat but i bought a hood and used 2 -25w blue bulbs made for fish tanks. and they get real hot i had them on 4 about 20mins and i shut them off i was afaid the plastic was gona melt the paper work said that it was good up to 25w, thinking about returning it bc i found my black lite from when i was a lil yonger and it dosnt get half as hot so im thinking about finding a glass top for the tank and just using the black lite whats anyones thoughts oh and ill get some pics up as soon as i put the glofish in the tank

Back
Top Bottom